cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cancel my Visa Black Card?

tag
urbancustoms

Should I cancel my Visa Black Card?

I just joined these forums and am looking for some educational opinions. My average limit among my credit cards is 5000 and Visa black had given me 15,000. I signed up for it because I needed the higher spending power. In the 5 months I've had it i have used around 40,000 and always pay off in full, have never carried a balance. I did not  take it for the prestige. I took it because they said I would have a higher limit.

After reading on these forums I have realized it's frowned upon tremendously. That is why I decided to post to see if I should just cancel it or keep it for a little more time than cancel? My scores right now average 750. 

If i would have known this card was so bad I wouldnt have bothered opening it and taking the hit. I do not mind the $400-$500 AF. Would American Express Platinum be a better choice? or somthing else possibly. 

My biggest concern is if I cancel my Visa Black card my score might take a dump.

Thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
DVH1980
Contributor

Re: Should I cancel my Visa Black Card?

Your score wont drop because you cancel it. If anything, your score dropped when you applied for it by taking the hit from the INQ and the reduction of time to your AAOA, getting another card will only compound this. I see no reason to let it go if you are ok with the AF. Its a nice limit and it doesnt seem like you are missing out on anything. Why exactly do you think its a terrible card to have? 

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 2 of 27
urbancustoms

I thought I made a mistake by getting it because after I did some research into the card I have read more negative aspects than positive. It seems everybody on these forums as well as general google research turns up to show this card is a "show off card" and the AF is useless etc. 

In terms of the card the only reason I did not mind it is because my limit.

My other cards limits:

Chase Platinum 2,700

Capital One 4,750

Fifth Third 3,900

Discover 2,900

BOA 4,400

Since Visa Black gave me 14,900 I realized this is a lot more realistic spending power so kept. As far as other features beyond that not sure if I can say it is good or bad. They provided me with a lounge club membership where I can use VIP lounges in airports and send me random small "luxury gifts". So far I have received a very nice Cross writing utensil with my name engraved in it. The card came in a nice box also.

Just trying to figure out if this is a good card to have or if I should go with AMEX Platinum etc?

Thanks again for your insight

Message 3 of 27
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

I'd keep it. Don't worry about what the forums think.  If the card works well for you and you don't mind the AF, so be it.  It's your wallet, and not ours.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 4 of 27
DVH1980
Contributor

Im willing to bet that 99% or people who actually see the card wont know what it is and wont affect their image of you one way or the other. The other 1% who actually recognize a Visa Black card are probably credit hounds like us and would more oftern than not respect that fact that you have one. 

If you're only concern for dropping it is the perceived image I would keep it. Its your highest CL, by a lot, and its a pretty nice card. I personally would be turned off by the AF but thats just me. Im sure if I was in a financial position to have a Black card the AF would not matter as much.

You should weigh the real benefits of the card vs other cards in its class if you're concerned with how it measures up, not by public perception.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 5 of 27
urbancustoms

Wondeful and meaningful replies. I appreciate the honesty. You are right. It is a financial tool for me and the credit limit helps me a lot. Especially because I never want to go over the 40-50% mark of utilization. I guess I was too worries if I would be perceived the wrong way but that seems to be something I shouldn't even consider.

Message 6 of 27
DVH1980
Contributor

People who would speak negatively of it probably cant get one. Id be lying if I said there werent cards I want just to show off Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 27
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

@DVH1980 wrote:

People who would speak negatively of it probably cant get one. Id be lying if I said there werent cards I want just to show off Smiley Happy

If I can get my hands on an AMEX Platinum....

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 8 of 27
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I feel like the visa black card was more looked down upon before the CARD act, when some people were getting hit with the 495 AF and only getting 500-1000$ limits.
Message 9 of 27
urbancustoms

It seems very in line with AMEX Platinum. I initially was debating to apply for either Visa Black or AMEX Platinum. When i looked at the two they seemed very similar, except AMEX gave you 25,000 bonus points for spending 2k (but those points could only be redeemed on airfare. 

I pretty much ended up picking the Visa Black just because I thought the concept of carbon fiber was neat, however when I got it, it just felt like cheap plastic. I am still not discouraged because I like the limit considering my starting limit was tripple any limit I have now.  I also never have to wait for an operator when I call.

I'm sure over all the Amex Platinum is still slightly a better card, especially since American Express has been around much longer and do carry the infamous Centurion Card.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.