Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cancel my Visa Black Card?

tag
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I cancel my Visa Black Card?

@urbancustoms wrote:

You all have provided plenty of good information to keep in mind. I agree with all of you. I plan to take another car loan by the end of the year so I think I will just stay clear of any inquiries for the rest of 2012 other than my car loan. 

Now that I know this forums exists I will definitely research here before making any future financial decisions.

Considering I now have the Visa Black, Chase, 53 Bank, BOA, Capital One, Discover and Macy's CC I think I will just steer free of any other cards for some time. Among all the cards I have roughly 38k credit limit, which I always stay under 30% utilization. 

Would it even be smart for me to open of any more CC's in the mere future? I already have 6 CC and one Department store card, which I feel is plenty. Not sure if their is a golden # to have.

There is no "golden #", however some say the sweet spot is somewhere between 2-6, for sure pick a number that you are comfortable with where you feel each card in that line up will get good use and you will be able to be responsible with it.  Also remember, like any other forum, good advice is to be found but there is also a lot of "bro-science" on here, the best way for you to know best results is to check your own fico reporting and stay in touch with it to see how your behavior affects it.

Message 21 of 27
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

The Visa Black card is trash, period. However given that it's your highest limit card and you've already paid the AF on it, I'd hold on to it at least until the next AF is due.

In the meantime I'd apply for something else such as Chase or Amex. The fact that you have a 15k limit will help you, since most lenders use your current CLs as a starting point for what they'll give you. Even if you get 10k limit instead of 15k, your Visa Black served it's purpose as a springboard to something better. Then cancel it before the next AF comes due.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 22 of 27
JonStur
Established Contributor

@urbancustoms wrote:

You all have provided plenty of good information to keep in mind. I agree with all of you. I plan to take another car loan by the end of the year so I think I will just stay clear of any inquiries for the rest of 2012 other than my car loan. 

Now that I know this forums exists I will definitely research here before making any future financial decisions.

Considering I now have the Visa Black, Chase, 53 Bank, BOA, Capital One, Discover and Macy's CC I think I will just steer free of any other cards for some time. Among all the cards I have roughly 38k credit limit, which I always stay under 30% utilization. 

Would it even be smart for me to open of any more CC's in the mere future? I already have 6 CC and one Department store card, which I feel is plenty. Not sure if their is a golden # to have.

@I have 14 cc's open tho I will close some older cards after Christmas. There is no  magical number to have, just  be responsible and keep your  combined balances @ 10% and you'll be fine.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 23 of 27
bribro
Valued Contributor

I remember looking into the "benefits" of the Visa Black card and being extremely underwhelmed. I wouldn't make any moves until after you close your car loan, but after that I would apply for a better card (AmEx Platinum, CSP, etc.) using that high credit limit as leverage to get a better starting limit on your next card. After that, drop the Visa Black before the AF hits again.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 24 of 27
sjt
Senior Contributor

You should call and see if you can do a product change to another Barclay's card.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 25 of 27
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@sjt wrote:

You should call and see if you can do a product change to another Barclay's card.

+1

Don't sweat what us credit geeks think of the Black Card. It's still cool and accomplished a very significant thing. A large CL. Build on that before you cancel.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 26 of 27
Jlu
Established Contributor

If this was about my comment about needing only a pulse and $495 in a thread last week..

... I was only trying to lighten the mood, I promise.
AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.