cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cancel my first credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I cancel my first credit card?

@Anonymous wrote:

As of late, I have seen zero success by anyone using "close my account" as leverage for a CLI.

Does your CapOne have rewards?  If so, do you use it enough to offset the late fee.  Basically if you can use it for expenses that you have each month for $4900 per year, then you can take the rewards as cash credit toward the card and the fees are offset.  If there are no rewards and they won't waive the fee, see if they can add rewards or PC to rewards....this is a way to get the equivalent of no AF.

If you can combine the accounts into a single, larger CL, that could be a good way to go.

However, AF's are a small fee to pay when you are getting established.  Check out the CU's and you may find that you have a new home Smiley Happy

Good suggestion to use rewards from this card to offset the AF. I didn't suggest however to use the "close my account" tactic to get a CLI. OP asked about having the AF waived and this is what has worked for me. It also worked last month when Cap One offered to lower my APR when I called to close my old low limit rebuilder card. I closed the account anyway but they did offer.

Last year when I called to have the AF waived I had a small ($200) balance on the card. The first CSR I spoke with told me that she couldn't waive the fee on my card at this time. I then told her that I was going online to pay the balance and would call back to cancel the card. Thirty minutes later I called back and asked her questions about the amount I needed to pay( minus the $29 AF) to be sure the card was closed without any balance remaining. As she was giving me this information another CSR jumped into the conversation and proceded to let me know that yes, indeed, if I kept the card open the AF would be waived. So don't take your first "No" as an answer...call again.

If OP opens a new, no AF Cap One card and combines it onto the old card she will simply have a higher limit card with an AF. If she combines the old card onto the new card she will have a new higher limit card without AF and her older card will still be closed. She will also have 3 new inquiries on her credit reports.

The CL on her Cap One is really nice if this was one of her first cards. With her scores ( I'm assuming her other scores are somewhat similar to her EQ score) and with the CLs on her Chase and Cap One cards, I am certain she would qualify for a much better card without AF from a prime lender if she chooses to go that way.  

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vegas is right, if you try for a product change to a rewards card it will be the same as closing this card and opening a new one. If you're going to look for more credit you should do so away from CrapOne.

Also, remember another poster's point that the card will still be calculated into your AAoA for 10 years before it drops off, and by that time you will have good age on other accounts. With an oldest account of only 2 years and AAoA of even less you've still managed to hit the mid 700s, so by the time this account fell off if closed you'd still be sitting on a great score.

I'd call on your Amazon card for a soft pull CLI, and if you can get that I'd give the ol' cancel threat a try.

Message Edited by Mank on 04-15-2009 11:44 AM
Message 12 of 15
mphan
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

After a little research on the web I found a 740 or greater score is required for the AMEX card. Mine is currently 702.  

Not really. I got approved for AMEX when my score was under 700. But Amex is not what they used to be, don't deal with them unless you have to.

---------------
In 1900, if a father put a roof over his family's head, he was a success.
Today, it takes a roof, deck, pool, and 4-car garage. And that's just the vacation home.
---------------
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, You guys are pretty impressive I must say. Thanks for helping me to decide what to do. I am going to apply for a new card at a better bank and then I will see if I cancel the CapOne or waive the fee. Hopefully my score won't drop too hard.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck and remember that you have 30 days to have the fee waived after it first appears on your statement.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.