Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cancel my old card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I cancel my old card?

I haven't used a credit card in a good 5 or 6 years now, but I still have an old Capital One card from way back that seems to be grandfathered in at a 4% fixed apr. I recently decided that it would be a good idea to get a couple rewards cards to save money on gas and groceries, and I applied and got approved for both the Fort Knox Credit Union Visa Platinum (for 5% on gas), and the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (for 3% on groceries). I was originally planning on cancelling my Capital One card once I received these 2 new cards, but now I'm wondering if I should just keep it since I don't seem to see any other credit card offers close to an apr as low as mine. I'm worried that too many cards will hurt my credit score, but at the same time I'm wondering if it's in my best interest to keep the card. Any thoughts?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I cancel my old card?

If there are monthly or annual fees you could consider closing it.  It would continue to report for another 10+ years.  Otherwise leave it open.  Also, check out the closing credit cards stickied at the top of the board. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 2 of 5
GB44
Contributor

Unless there is an AF, I would keep it.

The history will only help your credit score.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, especially pointing me towards the sticky about closing cards. From what I understand, it sounds as though keeping the card is more beneficial to my credit score, and being that I don't have any AF to worry about, closing the card would probably do more harm than good. I've always kept this card just in case an emergency ever pops up where I'm in dire need of money that I don't have on hand, so it's comforting to know that I can continue keeping this security blanket without doing any significant harm to my credit.
Message 4 of 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Call Cap 1 to confirm it is still open. I would use the card once or twice a year to make sure it is fully factored into your credit score.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.