cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cancel these cards?

tag
Nahgee

Should I cancel these cards?

I just want to start by thanking all of the members, I've been reading these forums for a few years now and I've come so far from following instructions of those who have walked similar paths.

My story is I filed BK in Feb 2013, discharged in September 2013 (had to push the date back a few times) and obtained a Credit one card October 2013 ($300 limit) since then I've purchased a used car $20k and refinanced bc the interest rate was horrible (16.9 %).

I opened a Penfed account last week and applied for a car loan to either trade but ended up refinancing agin, after reading forums I was sure I would be denied but to my suprise I was approved! Since the HP was already there I applied for the Promise Visa, I almost fell out my chair when I was approved an hour later for $5k limit, then I tried for the Visa cash back rewards, luck again $1k limit approval. Compared to forums I've read the limits are nothing, but the $5k is my highest limit yet (ever in life lol) so I'm debating on canceling some of these other cards I have, here's what I have;

Credit One $550 17%
Barclays Rewards $1500 24%
Cap1 QuickSilver $750 16%
LAFCU $1000 (interest free intro)
And my new Cards
Penfed Promise $5k 7.9%
Penfed Visa cash back $1k 7.9%

I want to get rid of the Credit One card (I hate them with all my heart) but it's my oldest credit card since the bk.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I cancel these cards?

Get rid of credit one. Also, this should be in the Credit Card section
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 17
Nahgee

Thank you! I don't know how to put it there lol
Message 3 of 17
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Nahgee wrote:
Thank you! I don't know how to put it there lol

Glad to move it over.

Edited cuz' eye kent spiel!!

Message 4 of 17
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

I would cancel any card that has an annual fee - but at the same time I would want to keep my oldest card open for AAoA. Maybe try calling the creditors you listed and see if they would waive the annual fee or reduce your APR.

Current Cards:
Message 5 of 17
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Bear in mind that closed accounts factor into your AAoA as long as they are on you CRs.   Usually, positive TLs stick around for ~10 years.

If you want to get more time on CreditOne, you can call then and advise that you intend on closing your card.   They may offer you a temporary AF waiver.   You could choose to accept and simply SD the card for that time and close later.   Or you can close now.   It's really up to you.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would cancel any card that has an annual fee. Otherwise, keep them open.
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nahgee wrote:
So I'm debating on canceling some of these other cards I have, here's what I have;

I can understand and support closing Credit One.  Why do you want to close the other ones?

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nahgee wrote:
I just want to start by thanking all of the members, I've been reading these forums for a few years now and I've come so far from following instructions of those who have walked similar paths.

My story is I filed BK in Feb 2013, discharged in September 2013 (had to push the date back a few times) and obtained a Credit one card October 2013 ($300 limit) since then I've purchased a used car $20k and refinanced bc the interest rate was horrible (16.9 %).

I opened a Penfed account last week and applied for a car loan to either trade but ended up refinancing agin, after reading forums I was sure I would be denied but to my suprise I was approved! Since the HP was already there I applied for the Promise Visa, I almost fell out my chair when I was approved an hour later for $5k limit, then I tried for the Visa cash back rewards, luck again $1k limit approval. Compared to forums I've read the limits are nothing, but the $5k is my highest limit yet (ever in life lol) so I'm debating on canceling some of these other cards I have, here's what I have;

Credit One $550 17%
Barclays Rewards $1500 24%
Cap1 QuickSilver $750 16%
LAFCU $1000 (interest free intro)
And my new Cards
Penfed Promise $5k 7.9%
Penfed Visa cash back $1k 7.9%

I want to get rid of the Credit One card (I hate them with all my heart) but it's my oldest credit card since the bk.

If you are wanting to cancel it, cancel it. It will not affect your AAoA just your utilization,

Message 9 of 17
Nahgee

It was just more so the Credit One and possibly capital one, but I guess if I just didn't use them it would be best for the utilization.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.