Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I change my mind?

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I change my mind?

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Two of my denial letters said "lack of accounts paid as agreed". 

I only have 3 active TL's. Maybe I need a 4th?

That just means your file is thin. Which you very well already know. There is no one that wants to give you a card with scores this low and your inquiries as high as they are. You can continue on down this road of more more more but you will be racking up those INQs and keep getting denials. If you listen, you can garden long enough that Cap1 will give you a card and then you can work from there. 

Sometimes, I don't even know why I bother.

Message 11 of 39
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

6 months. Acording to myfico panel, and 3 denial letters, "lack of installment loans", is hurting my score. I find that kinda stupid. Taking out an installment loan would raise my UTL and lower my score.

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 12 of 39
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Two of my denial letters said "lack of accounts paid as agreed". 

I only have 3 active TL's. Maybe I need a 4th?

That just means your file is thin. Which you very well already know. There is no one that wants to give you a card with scores this low and your inquiries as high as they are. You can continue on down this road of more more more but you will be racking up those INQs and keep getting denials. If you listen, you can garden long enough that Cap1 will give you a card and then you can work from there. 

Sometimes, I don't even know why I bother.

If there is a large number of INQs then yes, you are doing more damage than good applying for more cards. Just be patient and don't keep hurting yourself with more denials. Get the UTL down and let your accounts age. 

Message 13 of 39
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

6 months. Acording to myfico panel, and 3 denial letters, "lack of installment loans", is hurting my score. I find that kinda stupid. Taking out an installment loan would raise my UTL and lower my score.

Again, it is a blanket statement that is applied to say you have a thin file. The only way to beef up your file is to delicately with time do that, you are trying to bull your way through the china shop. That type of credit behavior can be tolerated when you have a super thick file, only because with a thicker file AAoA isn't affected as much; but make no mistake, the people who have this type of behavior whether their scores are excellent or not experience some sort of a negative result from it. (Whether that is their APR is approved at a higher level or their starting CL isn't as high as it would be if they had applied in a not-too-fast type of fashion.)

I hope I'm making sense and you somewhat understand what I'm saying.

Message 14 of 39
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

The HP for the BOA secured is already on my CR.

It's either.

A. Go ahead and mail in the $300 Security deposit, and wait 12 months to graduate for the BOA Secured.

B. App for the FNBO Secured, possible CLI at 6 months, possible chance to get unsecured in 9, suffering another HP.

C. Keep the $300 and use it to pay down balances, but have a wasted BOA hp.

Which should I do?

TU Fico 626

Message 15 of 39
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

If you've already taken the HP, you need to show creditors that you value them taking the time out and show them you want to build a solid profile. I would put the 300 on the secured card and call it done for a while.

Don't apply for any more and focus on paying off everything. If you can't handle your utilization at this low level of a credit limits extended to you, then you will file bankruptcy before you know it years on down the line if a company decides to give you much larger CLs.

I really do wish you well. Good luck and the best of patience, as well.
Message 16 of 39
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

It's either.

A. Go ahead and mail in the $300 Security deposit, and wait 12 months to graduate for the BOA Secured.

B. App for the FNBO Secured, possible CLI at 6 months, possible chance to get unsecured in 9, suffering another HP.

C. Keep the $300 and use it to pay down balances, but have a wasted BOA hp.  AND ALSO SPEND $10 EACH OUT OF THAT $300 TO FREEZE ALL YOUR REPORTS

Which should I do?

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 17 of 39
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@yudeology101 wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

It's either.

C. Keep the $300 and use it to pay down balances, but have a wasted BOA hp.  AND ALSO SPEND $10 EACH OUT OF THAT $300 TO FREEZE ALL YOUR REPORTS

Which should I do?

lol, I wanted to say this, believe me.. but I don't think the OP will heed the advice and will still want to apply for something. 

Message 18 of 39
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

It's either.

C. Keep the $300 and use it to pay down balances, but have a wasted BOA hp.

Which should I do?

I would go to my local bank and get a Installment Secured Loan (say against a saving account ) This is what i did a few years back and paid it off in 12 months. It will help a lot after 6 months. I got it for $2500

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 19 of 39
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

It's not that can't lower my UTL faster, it's that my car took a crap and I have to pay on it as well for repair costs.

I figured opening another TL and charging maybe $5 to it, PIF every month would look better than just paying down my balances.

I have too many INQ's, so in the mean time I'm gonna just go through pre-approvals while I wait to see if my CS goes up. I just realized my EQ Fico of 571 only shows 5 months of history, I'm going to wait a few days until 6 months are in and see if it goes up.

TU Fico 626

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.