Should I change my mind?

tag
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I change my mind?

@KennyRS wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

The HP for the BOA secured is already on my CR.

It's either.

A. Go ahead and mail in the $300 Security deposit, and wait 12 months to graduate for the BOA Secured.

B. App for the FNBO Secured, possible CLI at 6 months, possible chance to get unsecured in 9, suffering another HP.

C. Keep the $300 and use it to pay down balances, but have a wasted BOA hp.  AND ALSO SPEND $10 EACH OUT OF THAT $300 TO FREEZE ALL YOUR REPORTS

Which should I do?

lol, I wanted to say this, believe me.. but I don't think the OP will heed the advice and will still want to apply for something. 

We can only hope...Smiley Wink

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 21 of 39
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

With no baddies on EQ and EX, and 3 active TL's paid as agreed, would I have a shot at getting a unsecured non-store card 5-6 months from now (total history 11-12 months, or would it be better to open another secured TL?

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 22 of 39
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Getting ready to send the $300 for a security deposit on a BOA Secured card. Just saw FNBO came out with a new secured that supposedly CLI's after 6 months and can PC to unsecured after 9 (possibly).

It also comes with a free fico, lower AF and lower APR than the BOA.

Should I tell BOA no thanks and go with the FNBO "kickstart card", or just leave it as-is?

This is unbelieveable that you would even be giving this a single thought. IF YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR A BOA SECURED SEND THEM THE DEPOSIT or use the money to pay down your current credit cards....

Message 23 of 39
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

It's a hit and miss with credit reports. My report always says "lack of recent installment loan reporting". I have a current auto loan reporting. Definitely not getting another one because Experian is unhappy not more are reporting...

Let your accounts age. You don't need another secure card. You're getting denied unsecured cards because 1) you have too many inquires 2) young credit history and 3) high utilization. Use the 300 to pay down your balances and stop applying. You're doing more damage than good.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 24 of 39
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

With no baddies on EQ and EX, and 3 active TL's paid as agreed, would I have a shot at getting a unsecured non-store card 5-6 months from now (total history 11-12 months, or would it be better to open another secured TL?

That depends on UTL and INQs. Honestly, I do not believe you are going to take the advice given in this thread either way. However, if you choose to take the advice, you should open the Secured BoA since you already took the HP and you should do nothing else but pay down UTL for the next year. That will give you the best chance at an unsecured, non store card. 

Message 25 of 39
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 26 of 39
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

popcorn_danny_devito.gif

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 27 of 39
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@-Wade- wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

popcorn_danny_devito.gif

Remember, some of the Mods are getting upset with the popcorn eating stuff. Not sure if that was on all threads or just that one which was the issue. I just don't want to see my buddies getting in trouble Smiley Very Happy

Message 28 of 39
newhis
Valued Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Getting ready to send the $300 for a security deposit on a BOA Secured card. Just saw FNBO came out with a new secured that supposedly CLI's after 6 months and can PC to unsecured after 9 (possibly).

It also comes with a free fico, lower AF and lower APR than the BOA.

Should I tell BOA no thanks and go with the FNBO "kickstart card", or just leave it as-is?

If you decide to send the $300 to BOA, make sure you get the cash back rewards card, if you don't you can ask for it by chat or phone. If they change it you will get a new card in 2-4 weeks. Better to have some rewards than nothing. I did a chat and got the cash rewards card in less than 4 weeks.

Message 29 of 39
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

You are way way way better off using that $300 to pay down your balances, that HP is going to go to waste becuase of ill planning. If you want to strenghten your credit report then keep what you have and pay down the balances, DO NOT get a new card for at least 6 months - 1 year. It isn't needed.

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.