Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close 76gas after 2 yrs?

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Should I close 76gas after 2 yrs?

So, I'm trying to get myself set up in a better position in a few years, and will probably close a couple store cards IF the limit isn't at least $1,500. I just got a small bump on this card and its now at $450. I do like having a gas card as a back up in case for some reason I can't use any of my majors. I've also read that having a "gas card" can help with your car insurance premiums?? So, debating If This card should be one I close later down the road? In a few years when I try to get another major card, I just want to look as best as I can. Thoughts??

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Should I close 76gas after 2 yrs?

@pizza1 wrote:

So, I'm trying to get myself set up in a better position in a few years, and will probably close a couple store cards IF the limit isn't at least $1,500. I just got a small bump on this card and its now at $450. I do like having a gas card as a back up in case for some reason I can't use any of my majors. I've also read that having a "gas card" can help with your car insurance premiums?? So, debating If This card should be one I close later down the road? In a few years when I try to get another major card, I just want to look as best as I can. Thoughts??

I have never heard this. Your overall credit can have an effect on your insurance premiums. Good luck Pizza!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 15
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thx Scupra... Just wanting thoughts on if I should close it after 2 yrs? I know it'll continue to report positive for 10 yrs afterwards. Just trying to pair down a few store cards in the next few years.??
Message 3 of 15
Scupra
Super Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
Thx Scupra... Just wanting thoughts on if I should close it after 2 yrs? I know it'll continue to report positive for 10 yrs afterwards. Just trying to pair down a few store cards in the next few years.??

Haha! I think you know how I feel Smiley Happy Close that puppy or SD it until they close it for no usage. No need for such a small limit! Use your Navy cashRewards and enjoy the cash back

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 15
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I WISH I had the cash rewards!! I have the nrewards. I guess I'll see in a yr or two where this cards stands, lolSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

No reason to close it yourself, let THEM close it when you haven't used it for awhile.

You already took the HP for it, you might as well let it ride as long as it can

Don't use the cards, don't think about the cards and they will pare themselves down over the years for non usage.  Why waste the time thinking about them?

Message 6 of 15
baller4life
Super Contributor

Bingo +1
Message 7 of 15
jim44
Established Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

76 I think is having a promotion on their cards for a limited time.  You could save $ at the pump.  I love gas cards as a way to separate my expenses when I travel and have an added bonus when stations charge different prices per gallon (charge vs cash). My local Marathon gives the cash price for their branded gas card as   IMO I would sock drawer the card and wait for gas savings promotions and take advantage of those.

Message 8 of 15
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Have you called credit solution to request more credit?I've had my 76 cc for 3 yrs started with $400 got it to $800 and now $7000. I would call.
Message 9 of 15
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi Ginger!! Aren't you the one with a fleet of cars for that high limit? Lol!! Is that limit just your store card?? Wow! Yes, credit solutions and I have a live hate relationship, if you've followed any of my posts the last yr lol!!! Yes, I've tried... Denied. Ill see how it goes over te next yr or so, but once that card hit 3 yrs and its not at least $1500, I'm closing it. I don't want any lower limit cards "open" on my profile in 2 yrs. and this is the only one that is.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.