Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close Sallie Mae?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Should I close Sallie Mae?

@Anonymous wrote:
While this isn't a one size fits all card as callandra stated, it's still decent in many situations. Hhonors points I value at 50 to 75 cents or so around most areas (and even more so if you do points plus cash) but beware of one thing if you SD it. If you wanna use it every 3-4 months it's likely to be CLD'd. Happened to many. While it's a super cool card in the eyes of many, it's not for every purchaser (as stated)

Also, many people to go from points to cash back and sometimes simultaneously. Personally, I use it monthly. I have done the math and the SM earns higher than the hhonors in almost all situations. I would just think on it more honestly. Simplicity is good, but SD is quite simple in most situations. They don't like to be constantly SD'd though

You value hilton points at 50-75 cents?  With the Citi card giving a minimum  of 2 points per $, everything is free or better.....  (OK, maybe 0.5 - 0.75 cents)

Message 31 of 52
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
He wasn't talking about AmEx points. He was quite on par with Hilton points actually.

HE said Amex Points... Right there....

Either way I rather use my Hilton card Plus my AAdvantage than my DC either way atm. As far as the Sallie Mae card goes I never wanted to get on that bandwagon at all and glad I never did.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 32 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing racer, please just re-read. You or I are missing something lol.

And LTL, yeah.. Looking at price vs points, it's decently 50 to 75 cents without issue. May vary based on city but that's what I've seen.
Message 33 of 52
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

IMO its the best cashback card out there.  No AF's.  Who doesn't need gas and groceries?  Also Amazon is the big frosting on the cake for me.   No card in my wallet can come close to touching the SM card for spending I already do and I have most of the major travel cards and choose the SM over it.   

Ultimately it is up to OP, but once it is closed it is closed and you most likely will never see another card like this being offered again.  Just think it out before you close it.  Hilton points aren't worth much and IMO the cash back on SM would beat out the Hilton point values by a great stretch.

These are of course variable matters. There are plenty of people who don't drive much (or at all), who eat out a lot (so groceries aren't a big concern), and who rarely shop on Amazon (or at least not with high enough frequency that it really matters). For someone who lives in say, NYC, who probably walks to work, eats out a lot, etc the Sallie may be far from the best option for their spend pattern.

By the same token, many would find some of my favorite cards completely useless.

Pfft I live in NYC and just put over 1,000 miles on my car and its not even a month old Smiley Tongue. I also do eat out a lot and Amazon has become my least favorite place to shop ( still paying for prime though for some reason...lol)

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 34 of 52
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

IMO its the best cashback card out there.  No AF's.  Who doesn't need gas and groceries?  Also Amazon is the big frosting on the cake for me.   No card in my wallet can come close to touching the SM card for spending I already do and I have most of the major travel cards and choose the SM over it.   

Ultimately it is up to OP, but once it is closed it is closed and you most likely will never see another card like this being offered again.  Just think it out before you close it.  Hilton points aren't worth much and IMO the cash back on SM would beat out the Hilton point values by a great stretch.

These are of course variable matters. There are plenty of people who don't drive much (or at all), who eat out a lot (so groceries aren't a big concern), and who rarely shop on Amazon (or at least not with high enough frequency that it really matters). For someone who lives in say, NYC, who probably walks to work, eats out a lot, etc the Sallie may be far from the best option for their spend pattern.

By the same token, many would find some of my favorite cards completely useless.

Oh I dont disagree.. My Lexus is over 14 months old and only have 4200 miles on it that shows you how much I drive to and from work, but still find it my favorite card, not saying it works for OP..  I also eat out in excess of 1500$ a month and that spend typically goes on my CSP or Ritz, but obviously now since I have Discover at 10% it is going on that card until I cap it within the month.  Amazon is useful for most, but obviously not for all... Just saying it is still probably the best no AF card out there and I am all about UR's/MR's, etc...  You would have to pry this card for my dead cold body before I gave it up and I have no love for Barclay's either.  Even with my realitive high spend on CC's per month being on Chase/Amex I always find 300-600 spend a month on my SM typically.  Everyone is different though and just caution a person to look at the value or Hilton points compared to true 5% CB.

Meh a Flat 2% CB on everything > the Sallie Mae 5% on 3-4 catagories imo

Message 35 of 52
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Closing racer, please just re-read. You or I are missing something lol.

And LTL, yeah.. Looking at price vs points, it's decently 50 to 75 cents without issue. May vary based on city but that's what I've seen.

No, you shouldn't. I'm not familiar with the AmEx card, but I think HH points are worth less than 1 cent, so if you don't have a plan to get a better value for your AmEx points, I don't see why you would SD Sallie. Anyway if you still don't want to use SM, you can give it to me.

Right there made me assume hes talking about MR rewards and transferring them to HHonors.....

Message 36 of 52
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
While this isn't a one size fits all card as callandra stated, it's still decent in many situations. Hhonors points I value at 50 to 75 cents or so around most areas (and even more so if you do points plus cash) but beware of one thing if you SD it. If you wanna use it every 3-4 months it's likely to be CLD'd. Happened to many. While it's a super cool card in the eyes of many, it's not for every purchaser (as stated)

Also, many people to go from points to cash back and sometimes simultaneously. Personally, I use it monthly. I have done the math and the SM earns higher than the hhonors in almost all situations. I would just think on it more honestly. Simplicity is good, but SD is quite simple in most situations. They don't like to be constantly SD'd though

You value hilton points at 50-75 cents?  With the Citi card giving a minimum  of 2 points per $, everything is free or better.....  (OK, maybe 0.5 - 0.75 cents)

Dont get whay you gave the Citi version as an example when the Amex version is also AF free and offers a base of 3X points on everything. It is the better card point earning wise between the two.  I have both cards and between the bonuses I now have 98,000 points.

Either way since it has no AF I will take the card imo.

Message 37 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your point out, but I felt he was referring directly to hhonors. Maybe he just generalized some? Neither one of us are wrong with the info given, but we do need clarification from that poster lol.
Message 38 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't really bold or underline, but if I could, I would bold and underline the middle part of that first sentence lol
Message 39 of 52
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for your point out, but I felt he was referring directly to hhonors. Maybe he just generalized some? Neither one of us are wrong with the info given, but we do need clarification from that poster lol.

IDK I am tired from working all day so thats what i thought Smiley Happy Either way I find the Hilton card worth it over CB considering there is no AF.

Message 40 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.