cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close card with low limits?

tag
atbyrd

Should I close card with low limits?

I have had two Capital One cards for about a year now.  Both have $500 limits, they refuse to increase my limit.  I recently open 1 card with USAA with a $2000 limit and a $2500 limit with Chase. I have read that you should not close cards when building credit. But when looking at my monitoring through my bank it says that one the things holding back my score is that my average limit is below $2000. Would this be a case where it would be better to close the cards?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I close card with low limits?

Limits on cards have no bearing on your FICO score.  a $300 limit card will help your fico score as much as a 30k limit card.  However, card issuers look at current limits heavily when deciding what limit to give you.  Some card issuers tend to try to match/beat your highest active card.  Others offer an average of what the CLs look like.  Others offer a high average (ie they ignore the little cards).  Lots of other ways as well.  You are probably okay keeping card open, but if there is an AF, close it when you like.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 23
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I'd recommend having at least 2 or 3 open revolving accounts.    Closing a CC won't impact your FICO score unless you are carrying balances and your utilization increases as a result of losing the CL.

Here's a helpful sticky thread on this subject:   http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 23
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@atbyrd wrote:

I have had two Capital One cards for about a year now.  Both have $500 limits, they refuse to increase my limit.  I recently open 1 card with USAA with a $2000 limit and a $2500 limit with Chase. I have read that you should not close cards when building credit. But when looking at my monitoring through my bank it says that one the things holding back my score is that my average limit is below $2000. Would this be a case where it would be better to close the cards?

I don't think it will affect your score much open or closed.    I think it is slightly better to would keep the cards open, so IMO, keep them open only if they have no AF.  

Message 4 of 23
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I agree with closing them.  When applying for future cards, some lenders may get the idea that you are 'ok' with having a $500 limit card.  If you apply for a new card and all of your current cards have limits that you are happy with, the new creditor will probably give you a limit similar or better than your current cards.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 23
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

It's a personal preference..I agree with the others..I don't think it hurts your FICO score unless it's a  high % UTI issue...I agree that it may not help you get the best credit limits, and I think after they have served their purpose, if they have an AF, close them.  I have recently done this to my 2-3 cards that had AF and plus you will get the card history for 10 years..

~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@atbyrd wrote:

Call up CS for each card (transfer to supervisor each time) and tell them you want to cancel unless they give you a higher limit. If they don't want to increase, I would close.

Message 7 of 23
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Call up CS for each card (transfer to supervisor each time) and tell them you want to cancel unless they give you a higher limit. If they don't want to increase, I would close.

Since this is Cap1 you aren't likely to get them to give you a CLI.    Do either of them have an AF ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 23
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Only 2 reasons i'd close out a CC

1) dislike for the cc company that issues it

2) Fees

I have a Target RedCard with $200 that i've had for 5 years and no increases but i won't close it cause i have no issues with target and it has no fees. closing it won't help your score.

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before you close either card, consider how long you have had them.  If you close them you will lose the history.  By keeping them.  Keeping the balance paid 0.  Then ocassionally buying a tank of gas, and paying it off at the end of the month.  You will build up your credit.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.