tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Should I close my 2 oldest CCs?

Here's my rebuild since my 1/31/2011 BK7 discharge:

(Card/Date Opened/CL

Best Buy Rewards MC 10/14/2011 2,000
Merrick Bank Visa 12/1/2011 3,100
Barclays Rewards MC 4/10/2012 3,000 (Was $5700 CL, moved $2700 to NFL)
Cap One Rewards Visa 10/1/2014 10,000
Barclays NFL 3/27/2015 7,700 (Just under 60% util w/0% BT)
BoA Secured 5/13/2015 300
Discover It 7/7/2015 4,000
subtotal 30100

Store Cards:

Walmart/Synchrony 2/1/2013 5000
Lowes/synch 1/30/2015 5000

Total Available Credit: $40,100 Total Utilization: 15%, QS & Rewards MC report PIF monthly usage, NFL & Lowes report 0% APR balances, all others report $0 bal

I'm probably going to close the 2 oldest CCs by the end of the year. The BB MC was opened with HSBC with a $59 annual fee, it posts in early Nov. I earn more than that in Reward Zone certificates, but now that I have better reward cards why have most of the rewards I earn on that card offset an AF? I plan to call them in Oct and tell them I'm no longer willing to pay any AF. Being Citi I expect them to refuse to waive the AF and if they do I'll tell them "Then close the account immediately".

Merrick Bank was an great rebuild card but I've outgrown it with reward cards w/much better CLs. I haven't used it since I got Cap1 QS Oct, but I've been keeping it active by letting 2 small monthly bills totaling less than $20 charge to it. I don't expect Merrick to be happy with that for much longer and will take AA by lowering the CL, which would prompt me to close it - that's what happened to my Target Redcard.

That Bank of America secured card that looks so out of place opened just this last May? I had 1 CC from them included in my BK7 and want to eventually get a Fidelity Amex, so I wanted to get back in with them. Plan to app to convert to unsecured early next year, and then app for Fidelity Amex in 2017 when all 9 derogatory IIB accounts fall off CR.

I've budgeted an agressive payment schedule on the NFL card to get the balance down below 30% util by Dec. even though the 0% BT (used to payoff a Prosper loan) doesn't expire untill Fall 2016, that high.util dings my CS. At that point I'll app for Sallie Mae and think the SL will offset the loss of $5100 in CLs from closing BB MC & Merrick.

I'm not worried about the hit to my AAoA, the advice here is that closing cards does not affect your AAoA, and AAoA only has medium impact anyway. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Should I close my 2 oldest CCs?

AAoA, likely is not affected too much by closing the accounts, however...

You have some balances still, so if the Merrick doesn't have an AF, there's no reason to close that. You've got a basic charge flow going through there. They might close or CLD it, but why speed up the uncertainty? Let it ride. It may take them 3 years to get around to doing anything. Or never.

Good luck with the Best Buy change, to no AF. I don't have any experience with that, but it's something you might want to start the conversation earlier, try to PC to no AF. Keeping that account open, if you are earning rewards, keeps that oldest card active and earning. Worth the effort, if you ask me.

The 0% APR may be "hurting your score" but you are saving money. If it is in your cash flow to get it paid down, fine, but with several new accounts it is unlikely you should be looking at new cards, thus scores not matter. You do want to pay it off prior to the 0% expiration however.

The secured BofA is a good idea. My two BofA accounts are long time friends, even though they have lousy rewards. The AMEX has 7.9% APR and the MC has 11.24%, and both have 18+ month 0% BT offers monthly, so some of my busiest cards.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

BB card, $59 AF, yeah no point keeping that around.  Applaud your decision to simply ask for the AF to be removed or close the account as a course of action with Citi.  Didn't work with my old Orchard to Cap 1 card with an identical AF but it's worth a shot and I have zero regrets for closing that account for the same rationale you're approaching this one.

Regarding the Merrick card though, not sold on that decision.  If it doesn't have an AF, even if it's only a year older than some of your other accounts, I'd keep it.  It pretty much serves the same function as the now graduated BOFA secured card in my own report: I'm going to keep that tradeline forever, though at least with BOFA they have some interesting PC targets or their 1-2-3 Cash Rewards card covers the miscellaneous grocery MCC that falls to default for me on both my Sallie and BCP so I'm not losing any money from rewards by keeping it active; however, I would suggest even without that calculus, keeping it with some small recurring charge isn't a bad idea.  I'm doing the same with my Zync even with a $10/month recurring donation to the local NPR station, lots of ways to solve it incredibly cheaply these days.

Realistically my criteria regarding closing cards these days boils down to ~5 points:

• unjustifed AF, bye bye
  • security deposit that I could better leverage elsewhere, bye
  • Grossly consumer unfriendly reporting practices that irritate me, Synchrony cards as one obvious example
  • If the lender does something to offend me, which is pretty hard to do given I have virtually no interaction with them other than using their product and making my payments.  I'm not one to take offense over a CLD or similar either.
  • Unused store cards, erg, well, YMMV.  Lot of legit debate on that one, and I need to go test someone's data point assertion on store cards anyway.

For the rest, I'd suggest find a way to keep them, tradeline farms are pretty much zero maintenance these days with recurring charges and recurring bill payment services.

        
Message 3 of 4
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

AAoA, likely is not affected too much by closing the accounts, however...

You have some balances still, so if the Merrick doesn't have an AF, there's no reason to close that. You've got a basic charge flow going through there. They might close or CLD it, but why speed up the uncertainty? Let it ride. It may take them 3 years to get around to doing anything. Or never.

Thanks for the advice. No, I won't take any action on Merrick, only react if they do a CLD or close. Yeah, I learned the hard way with Target Redcard dont' sockdrawer, I didn't use if for almost a year and they lowered the CL from $1k to $200 and I never could get them to raise it back even with small monthly usage. So as long as Merrick is happy with $20/mo usage I'm good with that. My Merrick card never had any fees while many of the newly issued cards have an AF, so I just suspect they're not going to be happy with no fees and no 25+% APR balances from me for very long.

Good luck with the Best Buy change, to no AF. I don't have any experience with that, but it's something you might want to start the conversation earlier, try to PC to no AF. Keeping that account open, if you are earning rewards, keeps that oldest card active and earning. Worth the effort, if you ask me.

Well, there is no 'PC', other MyFico members tell me they didn't even know an AF BB card existed. I actually did call last Oct and asked to have the AF waived The rep outright lied to me, telling me "Oh, the Mastercard always has an annual fee". I think that since HSBC issued it with an AF Citi just wants to hang on to it. It does give me 2% rewards for groceries, but the rewards can only be used as certificates to lower the price of a Best Buy purchase, and I just don't shop BB as much as I used to, I'd rather get 2% cashback rewards with Barclays Rewards MC. With no AF I'd keep it, but it's no longer worth $59/yr in fees to me to have it. 

The 0% APR may be "hurting your score" but you are saving money. If it is in your cash flow to get it paid down, fine, but with several new accounts it is unlikely you should be looking at new cards, thus scores not matter. You do want to pay it off prior to the 0% expiration however

Well, it is an agessive payment schedule to pay NFL down to 30% util by the end of the year, but then I plan to "coast" with slightly more than the min payment until the 0% nears expiration and budget to PIF before expiration. The first part of the year I'm always scrimping to sock away as much as I can into my IRA as prior year contributions by April 15.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.