Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my Barclay Rewards MC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I close my Barclay Rewards MC?

I applied for both the Barclay Sallie Mae and Rewards MC on the same day. Initially I was approved for the Sallie Mae with a CL of $5,000 and had to reallocate my limit to the Rewards MC after being denied and reconning it for approval. So my limit for both cards are now $2,500 for Sallie Mae and $2,750 for Rewards MC.

A couple of days later the Citi Double Cash card came out, and I applied and was approved for that. My limit is now $12,000. I'm wondering should I close my Rewards MC because originally that card was going to be used to pay for utilities because of the 2% in rewards, but the Citi Double Cash pretty much makes the Barclay card obsolete. 

Should I keep the card open and charge my cable bill on it, or should I put that charge on my Citi card and close the Barclay card entirely. My Sallie Mae will still be active for the gas and grocery shopping I do. What would you do in this situation?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
skigirl916
Established Contributor

Re: Should I close my Barclay Rewards MC?

Since you already took the INQ hit for the Barclay, I wouldn't close it.  I'd let them grow and seek a CLI in the future

Message 2 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for both the Barclay Sallie Mae and Rewards MC on the same day. Initially I was approved for the Sallie Mae with a CL of $5,000 and had to reallocate my limit to the Rewards MC after being denied and reconning it for approval. So my limit for both cards are now $2,500 for Sallie Mae and $2,750 for Rewards MC.

A couple of days later the Citi Double Cash card came out, and I applied and was approved for that. My limit is now $12,000. I'm wondering should I close my Rewards MC because originally that card was going to be used to pay for utilities because of the 2% in rewards, but the Citi Double Cash pretty much makes the Barclay card obsolete. 

Should I keep the card open and charge my cable bill on it, or should I put that charge on my Citi card and close the Barclay card entirely. My Sallie Mae will still be active for the gas and grocery shopping I do. What would you do in this situation?

Since you have enough total CL, the card isn't needed.   So, I would see if I could move the CL to the Sallie Mae and close.   I'm sure many here will say keep it as it has no AF, which is fine, but I wouldn't bother to do any payments on it, if Barclays closes for non use, fine.   Doesn't the card have a $25 min redeption?  As does double cash, so, depending on your cable bill, it would take many months before you had enough to redeem,  So I would close after transfer of CL if allowed, or REALLY SD it.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Since you have enough total CL, the card isn't needed.   So, I would see if I could move the CL to the Sallie Mae and close.   I'm sure many here will say keep it as it has no AF, which is fine, but I wouldn't bother to do any payments on it, if Barclays closes for non use, fine.   Doesn't the card have a $25 min redeption?  As does double cash, so, depending on your cable bill, it would take many months before you had enough to redeem,  So I would close after transfer of CL if allowed, or REALLY SD it.

That's what I wanted to do intially. Make my Sallie Mae card have a higher CL. But I already earned about $5 on the Rewards MC, so in about 5 months I'll be able to redeem it for the rewards if I continue to charge the cable bill on it. 

@Skigirl I agree with you that there is no AF and I already took a inquiry hit. Not sure if Barclay will be as lenient with a CLI since I have 2 cards. 

Message 4 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

That's what I wanted to do intially. Make my Sallie Mae card have a higher CL. But I already earned about $5 on the Rewards MC, so in about 5 months I'll be able to redeem it for the rewards if I continue to charge the cable bill on it. 

@Skigirl I agree with you that there is no AF and I already took a inquiry hit. Not sure if Barclay will be as lenient with a CLI since I have 2 cards. 

Yep, those minimums are really annoying!  I'm still putting some charges on my (currently 2%) Citi Dividend to get to the $50 minimum before going to my three-card solution.  Even though every purchase gets me less rewards, I just don't want to leave the money there!

Message 5 of 9
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

I would just leave it open.

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any other insights? Seems like the consensus is the keep it open for now.

Message 7 of 9
I_need_720
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Unfortunately, with Barclays you to got show them LUV = "heavy usage and PIF" for them to show you some LUV = CLI. Especially if they see that you have a competitor's product that is recently opened and getting your spend.  Barclays wants to be your "main girl" and not the "side piece"....lol

But once she(Barclays) falls in love with you....she'll be real sweet. I have went from $500 in credit with them to $9,000 in 10 months.

br>Current Scores: EQ: 629 EX: 654 TU: 682 on 12/30/2014 from myFico
Starting Scores: EQ: 640 EX: 672 TU: 663 on 08/26/2014 from myFico
Goal Scores: 750+

In the Garden till October 2015 - Last App November 13, 2014
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@I_need_720 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Unfortunately, with Barclays you to got show them LUV = "heavy usage and PIF" for them to show you some LUV = CLI. Especially if they see that you have a competitor's product that is recently opened and getting your spend.  Barclays wants to be your "main girl" and not the "side piece"....lol

But once she(Barclays) falls in love with you....she'll be real sweet. I have went from $500 in credit with them to $9,000 in 10 months.

Wow they must really love you then! I was going to fall in love with Barclay, but creeping up from the shadows, Citi came along with their Double Cash card. I'll just use my Barclay Rewards MC for just my cable bill...

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.