Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my CapOne Secured?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I close my CapOne Secured?

Applied and approved in Oct of 2012, never missed a payment, keep my util under 20%. $500 limit

This past week I checked my scores and decided to apply for some cards.

Approved for 

CapOne QS1 - $3000 limit

Chase Slate - $5700 limit

Penfed Platinum Rewards - $500 limit

Anyhoo, will my scores go down if i close the CapOne secured card or should I just keep it open, buy a six-pack once a month and pay it off every month?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I close my CapOne Secured?

I would close it and free up the cash. It served it's purpose and will continue reporting for 10 years.
Message 2 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@B335is wrote:
I would close it and free up the cash. It served it's purpose and will continue reporting for 10 years.

+1

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 9
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

It can go either way. I would personally just leave it open and do exactly what you said. Buy a pack a gum every other month and call it a day.
Message 4 of 9
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

@Jaylima91 wrote:
It can go either way. I would personally just leave it open and do exactly what you said. Buy a pack a gum every other month and call it a day.

lol. Think the OP was referring to a six pack of beer... not gum.. Smiley LOL

But I agree with the others, close it!

Message 5 of 9
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

@Glkslngr wrote:

@Jaylima91 wrote:

lol. Think the OP was referring to a six pack of beer... not gum.. Smiley LOL

But I agree with the others, close it!

LOL, I know what he meant. I suggested a pack of gum because it gets the job done as well

Message 6 of 9
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Applied and approved in Oct of 2012, never missed a payment, keep my util under 20%. $500 limit

This past week I checked my scores and decided to apply for some cards.

Approved for 

CapOne QS1 - $3000 limit

Chase Slate - $5700 limit

Penfed Platinum Rewards - $500 limit

Anyhoo, will my scores go down if i close the CapOne secured card or should I just keep it open, buy a six-pack once a month and pay it off every month?

I opened my Cap1secured card in Nov 2012 and closed it in Nov 2013 no regrets. It is never a good idea to loan a financial institution your money interest free. The card has served its purpose... get rid of it and move on.

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 7 of 9
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

I plan on closing. My cap 1 secured once it hits a year in April 2015. I say close it.

Message 8 of 9
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

keep it open till just before the af is due then close it....it will report in the meantime free of charge

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.