Did you mean: 

Should I close my Citi banking?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Should I close my Citi banking?

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

@Johnnyblaze1986 wrote:

If you have a citibank credit card link to your online account, citibank will waive the monthly fee.

Having and keeping an account with them, will or can make it a lot easier for you to get other financial services from them in the near future, if you ever need one. Like for example, just applied for a $10,000 personal loan with them today, and they gave it to me without blanking an eye with their best rate. So it can benefit you in the long run, if you can keep the checking account open.

Thats the only reason why I dont want to close it, should I go for their secured card just to feel like I am more involved with them? I dont have a CC with them right now.

But against that, Citi probably doesn't have the best rates so....     I am not one for financial relationships, get cards, mortgages, checking and savings accounts from different places, whichever has the best for me at that time.  Locking in to an institution isn't always the best.  Yes, sometimes you might get a break (approving when they might not otherwise) but at other times something like "recent low balances in checking" might cause them to have questions which another institution wouldn't have.

But whatever, you shouldn't be paying $10 a month for soemthing you can easily get for free!

Message 11 of 36
Open123
Super Contributor

Citi checking accounts are not worth paying for period.

If they do waive the fee with a linked CC, then you may consider opening up a Citi Preferred with 20K bonus, and upgrade the value tier of the TY points you earn on your checking.

As Lurker observed, in our modern era, there is *NO* reason to pay for, be forced to make a DD or use a debit card "X" times in this day and age.  There are so many options for free checking with all the bells and whistles without deposit limits or requirements.

Message 12 of 36
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Johnnyblaze1986 wrote:

If you have a citibank credit card link to your online account, citibank will waive the monthly fee.

Having and keeping an account with them, will or can make it a lot easier for you to get other financial services from them in the near future, if you ever need one. Like for example, just applied for a $10,000 personal loan with them today, and they gave it to me without blanking an eye with their best rate. So it can benefit you in the long run, if you can keep the checking account open.

Thats the only reason why I dont want to close it, should I go for their secured card just to feel like I am more involved with them? I dont have a CC with them right now.

Why would you want to get a secured card when you already have unsecured credit??? Not a good idea and especially not just to have them waive a monthly checking acct fee. Personally Citi doesnt offer that good of cards anyway compared to other banks out there, I would consider this very carefuly.

You are right gdale that would be very stupid of me. True about their products but I like the fact that they dont charge fees to transfer funds ro another bank when WF does, also their fees are a little lower than WF. Sadly I cant remove myself from my DS WF acct according to a WF bank teller is this true?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 13 of 36
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Very true longtimelurker especially since I carrry low balances on my checking acct.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Message 14 of 36
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

I was actually going to open a Citi Checking Account last month, as they kept sending me email offers for AA 30k Miles Signup Bonus deal....

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 15 of 36
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Yes that is true but at the end having a closed checking and savings wont make me look bad when aplying for a CC or anyhting Citi related right. (Just double checking)

Message 16 of 36
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

@Yude when opening a checking acct or AA CC?

Message 17 of 36
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

take a check and write it to yourself and then take your phone an e-deposit that to your other bank... Boom no fee stupid Wells Fargo (I HATE them) but do this to move money to navy since I have yet to get my partner to leave them!!

Message 18 of 36
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Yude when opening a checking acct or AA CC?

Yep, the offer was that if i were to open a checking account w/ Citi, then they would offer 30k AA miles after $750 spend (w/ debit card) + 2 successful direct deposits. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 19 of 36
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

take a check and write it to yourself and then take your phone an e-deposit that to your other bank... Boom no fee stupid Wells Fargo (I HATE them) but do this to move money to navy since I have yet to get my partner to leave them!!

Hmm so should I just stick with Discover banking for now? They have no fees at all and 10c back on every transaction.

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.