Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my First Premier cards?

tag
Gotagoal
Regular Contributor

Should I close my First Premier cards?

Hello - When I first came to this forum a few mo ago - the only credit cards I had open and in good standing were 2 First Prem cards. One for about 2 years and the other for a few mo. Low limits, of course.

Now I have Amex Blue Cash 2k, Amex Clear 5k, BECU  3.5k (credit union), CCCU 1k, Target Visa500, Chevron 400, BofA 99/500 card, Gap 500 and Dress Barn 500. 

I don't feel that I need to keep my First Premier cards because they cost me money.
Considering the limits are only 350 ea - I can't imagine that it will lower my overall util too much.

Right now I'm at about 20% util overall and my scores are around 675.

What would you do? Tough it out a little longer while these other new accounts age?
My overall credit history is about 9 years.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I close my First Premier cards?

If closing them won't damage your utilization and they are costing you money, I would close them. You will keep the age.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you a graduated past First Premier.

Tell them "thank you" - and close them

Message Edited by Timothy on 09-25-2007 07:11 AM
Message 3 of 5
Gotagoal
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your feedback! It feels good to be at that point. They served their purpose. But like you said - if it's costing me money - chuck 'em.
Message 4 of 5
Gotagoal
Regular Contributor

Thanks Timothy - Will do. Especially before the next AF hits in the next few months. It feels so good to replacce these cards. Just got my Amex Blue in the mail yesterday. He HE!! It's much prettier than the Skymiles.

Thanks everyone! I told my roommate last night - I would never have had all of this new wisdom witthout this forum.
Sincere thanks.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.