cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my NFL Extra Points card (Barclays)

tag
londonhogfan
Contributor

Should I close my NFL Extra Points card (Barclays)

I have a lot of new accounts over the past 5 months (started with basically nothing) so i'm worried that I could see AA from Barclays soon.

Their rewards are horrible and the $2050 limit is lower than any of my other cards (except my oldest) and I have plenty of credit so I don't really need them for utilization. Here are my other limits.

Walmart Discover, Discover It and USAA: 10k each

Citi Diamond: 6k

Chase Sapphire Preferred and BankAmericard: 5k each

My only other low limit card is the Orcard card which is 1,400. I'm holding out to see what Capital One does with the card later in the year plus it's my oldest card so I'll be keeping it.

My worry is about Barclays lowering the limit or doing something else that might hurt me more than just closing it would. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'll be in the garden... FICO Score | TU-08: 732 in May 2013
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Should I close my NFL Extra Points card (Barclays)

I wouldn't IMO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

even if they close your card it will not hurt you, I say keep it open
Message 3 of 10
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

You said it was your oldest? If it is keep it open. If not close it; it isnt going to hurt your utilization very much

I just closed mine the other night lol

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 4 of 10
flowfaster
Established Contributor

It sucks that Barclays is not PC friendly.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 5 of 10
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

They stink with CL too. All mine are above 5K and I get the 49ers NFL card and its $600? That is embarassing

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 6 of 10
londonhogfan
Contributor

@a3quit4s wrote:

You said it was your oldest? If it is keep it open. If not close it; it isnt going to hurt your utilization very much

I just closed mine the other night lol

That's what I'm thinking. It's only been open for about 4 months so it's not an older card. I got the $200 bonus from opening the card and honestly with the new cards I've gotten and the high apr and low credit line that barclays gave me I don't see myself ever using the card again.

I'm just not sure if it'll look bad on my credit report it they close it or reduce my credit limit even more before I close it.

I'll be in the garden... FICO Score | TU-08: 732 in May 2013
Message 7 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If there is no AF, you PIF ( so high APR isn't a factor) IMO- keep it open.

If there's an AF, close it. Positive TL will stay on your CR for 10 yrs but it won't help your util.
Message 8 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I wouldn't close it. Who knows you might get some luv from them on the 6 month review!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 10
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Agree with LS. I wouldn't close it. They usually will review your account and give you a CLI six months after opening the card.

If they do close it, it would only affect your utility. As long as you keep your utility low on your other cards, you would be fine. Anybody doing a manual review will be able to tell that the account was in good standing before it was closed. It will also continue to report positively for 10 years on your credit report and shouldn't affect your AAoA

Bottom line is that as long as you don't have a huge utility on your other cards, it won't really matter that much if they decide to close it.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.