Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my citi TYP

tag
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

Should I close my citi TYP

Hi all, I just want some suggestions if I should close my citi TYP and if I can move the Credit line to my forward card? I haven't really been using it much.

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I close my citi TYP

How long have you had the TYP?  Is your Citi Forward a student version?

Message 2 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Without any insider knowledge, to me it seems pretty certain that at some stage Forward will reduce its reward structure for existing users as well, to the (useless) 1% on everything, which is what new users are getting.   If that happens, then the TYP will be the card with the (slightly) better reward structure.   So I would be inclined to keep them both open in a wait and see mode, unless you are  maxing out your forward and really need the extra CL.

Message 3 of 6
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

Yes my forward is the student version, I don't really use the TYP much, the TYP is almost 9 months.. Can I consolidate the CL if I close one card?

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@JaeJae12 wrote:

Yes my forward is the student version, I don't really use the TYP much, the TYP is almost 9 months.. Can I consolidate the CL if I close one card?

It's unlikely that Citi may do this but you can always try.  Since their PC or consolidation policies change frequently, the new card may need to be opened at minimum 12 months before any PC/consolidation.  They typically do not PC/consolidate mainline cards to student versions IIRC.

Message 5 of 6
enharu
Super Contributor

+1 to what finstar said.

Citi does not usually consolidate lines. Even if you somehow manage to convince them to, the conversion may not be 1:1
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.