cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my loan shark credit cards for a major bank secured credit card?

tag
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I close my loan shark credit cards for a major bank secured credit card?

It was 5pm pacific time when I applied.

Message 41 of 51
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I close my loan shark credit cards for a major bank secured credit card?

Update:

I called the BOA number and my unsecured app was declined. I spoke to a BOA banker at a branch and he told me to wait until I get my denial letter and see if I received a counter offer for a secured card. If no offer comes, I can go to a branch and I could apply fo the partially secured (99/500) or for the fully secured card.

Question: If what the BOA banker said is true, that I can apply at a branch for the 99/500 deal, what are the chances I get approved for the 99/500? He said I would have to buy a certified check payable to BOA, he would then overnight that check to the department in charge. If declined, they would send the check back.

I also applied for a WF unsecured card and was declined. I then applied for a secured card with a $300 CL. I am still not sold on the WF secured card though based on their graduation process. I called the 1-800 WF number and had them transfer me to Card Services. They said I can speak to an analyst who actually does the approval of graduating cards on Monday. There probably isn't a magic formula, but there are some basic things they look for I assume, for example, "don't exceed a certain % of your credit limit at any time".

The lady I did speak with from WF customer services Card Services had this to say (this is just her personal experience and knowledge):

-Don't go over $200, but also don't charge a very low amount monthly

-Don't lose your card

-Don't dispute transactions if not necessary

-Don't ask for waivers of fees

-Accounts are reviewed twice automatically every year, Spring and Fall

Basically, they keep tabs on how often you call them and for what reasons. This is taken into account when your account is reviewed. Again, this is just from her own personal experience. She advised to speak with analyst who does the actual approval. I will let you all know what the analyst says.

Message 42 of 51
trying_to_B_good
Contributor

about to send ya a pm about where to check to see if your score is good enough.

Message 43 of 51
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

As I already have my WF secured card in my possession, I will close my FP card.

Question:

My statement closes on the 24th of August. At that point I will be assessed the monthly $6.25 fee. So is it worth paying the fee and having the card report one more month at a $0 balance and payment on time?  Or should I avoid the fee and close it now? Last statement it reported a $0 balance.

Message 44 of 51
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to bump this. But I want to take my question a bit further and hopefully someone has advice.

I expect that when I call FP to cancel they will do what they can to keep me. What if they offer me a year with no fees? Should I continue using the card for a year and then close it after a year?

What if they offer me a $50 credit or something? I could essentially take the credit, pay the 6.25 monthly fee, then close it next month and pocket the difference?

Thoughts?

Message 45 of 51
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@money_talks wrote:

Sorry to bump this. But I want to take my question a bit further and hopefully someone has advice.

I expect that when I call FP to cancel they will do what they can to keep me. What if they offer me a year with no fees? Should I continue using the card for a year and then close it after a year?

What if they offer me a $50 credit or something? I could essentially take the credit, pay the 6.25 monthly fee, then close it next month and pocket the difference?

Thoughts?

When I called to close my card they asked why and did not offer me any incentive to stay.

If a card has no AF or monthly fees then there is always a reason to keep it open......but

I don't anticipate they will make an offer but YMMV. Do you really want/need it? That is the question.

Message 46 of 51
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@money_talks wrote:

As I already have my WF secured card in my possession, I will close my FP card.

Question:

My statement closes on the 24th of August. At that point I will be assessed the monthly $6.25 fee. So is it worth paying the fee and having the card report one more month at a $0 balance and payment on time?  Or should I avoid the fee and close it now? Last statement it reported a $0 balance.

My montly fee was refunded to me in the form of a check.

Message 47 of 51
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

lhcole: Well, I really don't want it and don't need it. I guess the question is, would it help my credit if I ask if they can remove at least one year of fees, and that way I can have one more year of history on the card with payment history. The other thing is, if FP agrees to waive the fees and I keep it open one more year, it will hurt me once it falls of my CR because I am essentially adding one more year to my oldest revolving account.

It looks like it's a trade off then.

Message 48 of 51
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@money_talks wrote:

lhcole: Well, I really don't want it and don't need it. I guess the question is, would it help my credit if I ask if they can remove at least one year of fees, and that way I can have one more year of history on the card with payment history. The other thing is, if FP agrees to waive the fees and I keep it open one more year, it will hurt me once it falls of my CR because I am essentially adding one more year to my oldest revolving account.

It looks like it's a trade off then.

If they waive the fees (AND THAT'S A BIG IF) and if you always PIF (as to not get charged the 14589% APR) then no harm in keeping it open. You're right, having another year of a credit card that is reporting current payments will help.

It will not hurt you once it falls off. That will be 10 years from the close date and by then you will have done big things with big cards and your scores will be AMAZING!

Message 49 of 51
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

lhcole, that's encouraging!

So I guess I should come up with a plan when talking to them?

1) Waive the fees forever

2) For 2 years

3) For 1 year

I guess I'll take anything maybe just a credit to my account so I can get a little back of all the fees I paid to FP! Then close it.

Message 50 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.