Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my store cards

tag
RESSECUP
Regular Contributor

Should I close my store cards

I have recently been approved for quite a few store cards and now I am regretting and considering closing.  I will be in the process of looking for a mortgage this time next year.  Will having too many store cards hurt me?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ptilda
Established Contributor

Re: Should I close my store cards

My understanding is that as long as the util is low, it might affect the AAoA, but I don't think it will hurt a lot. They like to see a few cards. You should be fine.

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 2 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

What's done is done, so keep them open to build the history.  How many did you apply for or were approved?

Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@ptilda wrote:

My understanding is that as long as the util is low, it might affect the AAoA, but I don't think it will hurt a lot. They like to see a few cards. You should be fine.

+1

You have already taken the score hit with the HPs, I would get some use out of the cards.

Message 4 of 7
RESSECUP
Regular Contributor

These are all approvals from August until now

Macys

Ashley Stewart

JCP

Target

Firestone

Paypal

Amazon

Walmart

I wanted Major cards with higher limits but I guess my scores arent good enough yet.

I already had A cap 1 secured, Cap 1 quicksilver, Victorias Secret ( they recently gave me an increase) and credit one.--- 

Message 5 of 7
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@RESSECUP wrote:

Macys

Ashley Stewart

JCP

Target

Firestone

Paypal

Amazon

Walmart

I wanted Major cards with higher limits but I guess my scores arent good enough yet.

I already had A cap 1 secured, Cap 1 quicksilver, Victorias Secret ( they recently gave me an increase) and credit one.--- 

As others have stated, keep the cards that are useful to you.  It looks like your AAoA took a hit which was stopping you for getting cards with "major" card issuers much less higher limits.  Let those accounts you want to keep age some to improve your scores and then app for "major" cards that fit your spending habits.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 6 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@RESSECUP wrote:

Macys

Ashley Stewart

JCP

Target

Firestone

Paypal

Amazon

Walmart

That's actually not too bad, especially since August.  As I mentioned earlier, the history on these will help you.  If you don't plan on using some of these, then you can sock drawer them for a bit (maybe put some activity here and there just to keep them active).  You can evaluate the situation as you get closer to the mortgage and decide whether some of these have not been utilized and possibly close - totally your decision.

Then, after your mortgage process is finalized and closed, you can definitely try for the majors leveraging the history on these.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.