Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close or sock drawer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I close or sock drawer?

I went on a mini spree today and was approved for 3 cards I really wanted.  Amazon, Amex and Walmart.  Last week I was approved for the Cap 1 QS

I've been in rebuilding mode since summer, and have improved about 100 points since then.  

Current rebuilder cards that I have are Cap 1 Secured, Credit One and Open sky.  I also have 4 store cards.  

I would like to close all of the secured (obviously to free up about 1,000) but also to close 2 of the store cards 

This would leave me with Amex, Walmart, Cap 1 QS, Amazon, 2 store cards that I really frequent.  Then I could put heavy use on these and grow.

However, will it look bad closing the secured and store cards that have only been open for 4 or 5 months...should I sock drawer them for a year.  Does it matter either way??

Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Should I close or sock drawer?

Congratulations on the new cards, your file is growing nicely.

The easy first one to close is Credit One. I'd say close that one immediately, to save all the fees now that you've outgrown it, and then sit tight for a while.

Let the Quicksilver get activated and settled in, then after January 1 plan to close the CapOne secured.

If there is no cost to the store cards, no rush to close them. If you know you won't use them, then closing them isn't an issue. They do provide some value on your credit report adding a few more months of activity, but that's going to start counting less as the better cards start reporting. As those new cards begin reporting, then it makes more sense as part of the transition to close the two store cards.

Is Open Sky a secured card? Similar to the other cards, as the new cards transition into actual reporting, closing this one out may make sense.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

However, will it look bad closing the secured and store cards that have only been open for 4 or 5 months...should I sock drawer them for a year.  Does it matter either way?? 

It doesn't really matter.  It's your call to make.  If you have at least 2-3 cards you can close the others.  If you're going to sock drawer then make sure you're actively monitoring those accounts.  If you cannot or will not then close them out.

Message 3 of 9
laurenjessica
Frequent Contributor

I would agree with closing Credit One right away. As far as the secured cards, I'd close them. As far as when, it really depends how quickly you'd like your funds freed up. Just know that with Open Sky, it'll take about 4-6 weeks to get your deposit back (I recently closed mine over the summer. They aren't quick about it). They also still report the card as open to the credit bureaus with a credit line of 0. It's weird.

For the store cards, I'd SD them. There aren't any annual fees and they'll eventually close on their own from non use.
Credit cards:
NUS000000091-480x304-STRAIGHT-96unnamedmissionlanemobileIRIDESCENTpaypal-cashback-credit-card-16373091c11536849downloadvenmoTJX-Rewards-Platinum-Mastercardcardart-prim-645x406
AU Cards:
disney-premier-cardNUS000000327-480x304-STRAIGHT-96NUS000000269-480x304-STRAIGHT-96
Store Cards:
Credit-Card-Large61d9c1a7-5683-4228-8bb4-c2747006069dAPSC-SECUREDCARD-CB658179059Kohls-CC-no-egt-SM-RGBpinkimg093647Paypal-Credit-Logo-Ameri-Commerceimg056321sc-plus-black-Creditcard
Auto loan:
toyota

Actively rebuilding since August 2022.

Starting FICO 8 scores (8/24/2022):

Current FICO 8 scores (2/12/2024):
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the advice! It looks like I'll start with closing Credit One this week, and then closing each secured as each new card reports.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

Congratulations on the new cards, your file is growing nicely.

The easy first one to close is Credit One. I'd say close that one immediately, to save all the fees now that you've outgrown it, and then sit tight for a while.

Let the Quicksilver get activated and settled in, then after January 1 plan to close the CapOne secured.

If there is no cost to the store cards, no rush to close them. If you know you won't use them, then closing them isn't an issue. They do provide some value on your credit report adding a few more months of activity, but that's going to start counting less as the better cards start reporting. As those new cards begin reporting, then it makes more sense as part of the transition to close the two store cards.

Is Open Sky a secured card? Similar to the other cards, as the new cards transition into actual reporting, closing this one out may make sense.

+1

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do Cap1 secured cards graduate? If yes, I would look into graduating it and then combine that CL with your Cap1 QS. I would close Credit One & Open Sky. If you have no use for the two store cards, then I would close them too. Please make sure you PIF any balances and allow your credit reports to be updated before closing any of these accounts. Just my 2 cents. Good luck OP!
Message 7 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:
Do Cap1 secured cards graduate? If yes, I would look into graduating it and then combine that CL with your Cap1 QS. I would close Credit One & Open Sky. If you have no use for the two store cards, then I would close them too. Please make sure you PIF any balances and allow your credit reports to be updated before closing any of these accounts. Just my 2 cents. Good luck OP!

Cap-1s secured cards do not graduate.

Message 8 of 9
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Current rebuilder cards that I have are Cap 1 Secured, Credit One and Open sky.  I also have 4 store cards.  

I would like to close all of the secured (obviously to free up about 1,000) but also to close 2 of the store cards  

Close'em. You don't want tiny limits spread around a bunch of cards. And the payment history will stay on your record for 10 years anyway.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.