Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close some credit cards?

tag
dearppl
Contributor

Should I close some credit cards?

Hello - I just turned 24, and I have 8 credit cards already (each with over $10k credit limits). With Sallie Mae MC losing its 5% cash back in March 2017, I was wondering if it's time to close some of those accounts. I always pay-in-full for all my cards, and I utilize all cards pretty regularly to maximize their benefits. I know those cards will remain on my account for another 10 years, and I'm sure I will open more cards, so I don't think it's going to affect my credit score much. Thoughs? 

BoA Better Balance - keep for the quarterly cash reward

Chase Freedom - keep for the quarterly 5% cash back

Chase Sapphire Reserve - keep for business trip/travel

Chase Marriott - keep - keep for business trip/travel

AMEX BC - keep for grocery, department stores, and gas

Citi Doublecash - keep for misc spending 

Sallie Mae MC - ???

Citi Forward - ???

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Frank3

Re: Should I close some credit cards?

I'm a long time lurker that believes in closing cards I have no interest in using on a regular basis.  I am a fair bit okder than you and also rarely open up new cards.  I've always figured 5-8 cards spread out over major banks and my CU are plenty.  I know that you can get top scores with 3-4 cards too.

Given your age, AAoA won't be a major consideration, but, in general, keep your oldest cards and close the newer ones.

Message 2 of 3
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Should I close some credit cards?

@dearppl wrote:

Hello - I just turned 24, and I have 8 credit cards already (each with over $10k credit limits). With Sallie Mae MC losing its 5% cash back in March 2017, I was wondering if it's time to close some of those accounts. I always pay-in-full for all my cards, and I utilize all cards pretty regularly to maximize their benefits. I know those cards will remain on my account for another 10 years, and I'm sure I will open more cards, so I don't think it's going to affect my credit score much. Thoughs? 

BoA Better Balance - keep for the quarterly cash reward

Chase Freedom - keep for the quarterly 5% cash back

Chase Sapphire Reserve - keep for business trip/travel

Chase Marriott - keep - keep for business trip/travel

AMEX BC - keep for grocery, department stores, and gas

Citi Doublecash - keep for misc spending 

Sallie Mae MC - ???

Citi Forward - ???

If you utilize them, there's no need to just close cards. Now if I were you, I'd consolidate the Citi limits...closing out the Citi forward. Also close the Sallie Mae if you don't have any use for it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.