Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close these GE accounts?

tag
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I close these GE accounts?

@pizzadude wrote:

If it were me I would just leave them open.  They have no AF, and since this is GECRB they will eventually bump your CL.   7 months is too early to close them IMO.

+1 - just leave them open and let them sit. After your numbers update, I think they will show you some luv... I can br frutrating though, I had a JCP card that I opened in 1996 with a $200 limit. I used it a few times and that was it. I honestly forgot I had the card. 

Early last year, I was doinf the Annual Credit Report thing and found it. I called them asking to send me a new card and could I get a higher credit limit. They would send me a new card of course, but would not increase my credit line. So, I closed the account.

Fast forward to late last year, I applied and got another JCP card with a $250 limit! Smiley Mad But after reading on the forums here, I spent a few $$$ on the card and waitied for the 4th statement to cut. After that happened, I hit the luv button and they brought me up to $2400 where it sits today.

Patience my friend! All good things come to those who wait.  Smiley Happy

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 21 of 28
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I can tell you in less than a year my pennys account went from 100 -1300. I know its very emotional and its very aggravating. But I do agree with others, just wait.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 22 of 28
CS800
Super Contributor

Banish them to the sock drawer but don't let them sit there too long. Let's say you use them twice a year to avoid possible cld. No AF so its all good.

Message 23 of 28
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CS800 wrote:
Banish them to the sock drawer but don't let them sit there too long. Let's say you use them twice a year to avoid possible cld. No AF so its all good.

Just took it out the freezer.....

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 24 of 28
CS800
Super Contributor

With these cards you never know. You can get a CLI anytime. I would just leave them open.

Message 25 of 28
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Are these cards being used for purchases? If not, then you really can't expect a CLI.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 26 of 28
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

Are these cards being used for purchases? If not, then you really can't expect a CLI.

I've used the JCP a few times, 3 to be exact. The ON card i've spent about 300 maybe a little more on it.

So yes, I do expect CLI's and will not stop unitl I get them!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 27 of 28
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Have you spoken to a person on the phone about your disappointment with your low CLs? I did that a few years ago for ON and my CL was randomly bumped up from $600 to $800 to $1K after some time. It may be worth a try. 

And have you opened any new CC accounts lately? That may be a factor as well. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.