Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close these cards?

tag
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

Should I close these cards?

Brylane Home crap limit and comenity doesnt seem to want to up it.

OpenSky secured (500$)

Merrick, i acceptd their offer right before i got a few big cards. annual fee is in about 7 months

I dont think ill EVER use brylane and opensky ive had for a few years and have got a few big limit visas/mc's since.

Gardening 25JAN16 - 25JUL16

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Should I close these cards?

@SLO805 wrote:

OpenSky secured (500$)

Merrick, i acceptd their offer right before i got a few big cards. annual fee is in about 7 months

I dont think ill EVER use brylane and opensky ive had for a few years and have got a few big limit visas/mc's since.

I would say close them, they clearly add nothing worthwhile to your util (with $30+L cards) and will stay on your account for several years anyway.

But there is the other camp of keeping anyting without an AF for ever.

Message 2 of 13
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SLO805 wrote:

OpenSky secured (500$)

I would say close them, they clearly add nothing worthwhile to your util (with $30+L cards) and will stay on your account for several years anyway.

But there is the other camp of keeping anyting without an AF for ever.

They arent my oldest cards either :-/

Message 3 of 13
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Here's a thread that might be of use in determining the answer to your question:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Closing-Aged-Accounts-Yes-It-Is-Ok/m-p/15...

If I were you, given the other CCs that you have, I'd close any secured card, and any CC that you feel is of no use to you. So, to answer your question, based on your OP, I'd say yes, close all of them.

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 4 of 13
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@SLO805 wrote:

OpenSky secured (500$)

Agree with closing things you aren't using. These cards will continue to add to your AAoA for the next 10 years, and given the relatively small CLs on these cards, you won't miss them if they're closed.

Message 5 of 13
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

thanks guys- how do i close them lol ?

Message 6 of 13
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@SLO805 wrote:

OpenSky secured (500$)

The pair of cards wth the annual fees, and likely no grace period are an easy decision - once you have a major card elsewhere, the OpenSky and Merric make little sense to kep. If there is no monthly fee it might make sense to keep them only until the annual fees are due. 

Whether to keep Brylane Home or not is more of a question - but the first question would be how likely are you to make a purchase from them, "crap limit" or not? If you'll use it, then it's ok to keep it, and Comenity, in their own time, will eventually increase the limit. I had an Eddie Bauer card that was trapped at $100 for several years but thanks to the forums and time, that same card is up over $1500, more than adequate for my needs.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm only trying to keep accounts that offer deferred financing. I trimmed a lot of fat with that philosophy.

When your scores are in the dumps and you have baddies, you are not going to get 0% interest offers with the prime cards, and no offers on current cards too much, so no interest for 6 months or a year is lemonade out of lemons
Message 8 of 13
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

@SLO805 wrote:

OpenSky secured (500$)

The pair of cards wth the annual fees, and likely no grace period are an easy decision - once you have a major card elsewhere, the OpenSky and Merric make little sense to kep. If there is no monthly fee it might make sense to keep them only until the annual fees are due. 

Whether to keep Brylane Home or not is more of a question - but the first question would be how likely are you to make a purchase from them, "crap limit" or not? If you'll use it, then it's ok to keep it, and Comenity, in their own time, will eventually increase the limit. I had an Eddie Bauer card that was trapped at $100 for several years but thanks to the forums and time, that same card is up over $1500, more than adequate for my needs.

brylane is a home store etc i dont think the vendor stands out above and beyond amazon or any other place that sells bed bath and beyond items lol; i doubt id bother using them, ever

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SLO805 wrote:

thanks guys- how do i close them lol ?

Call the number on the back of the card, speak to customer service. It should be quick. There's a slight chance they would give you a CLI if you try to close.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.