Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close???

tag
Sinarta
Established Member

Should I close???

I have read the Closing Credit Card thread but I still need help. Here is the rundown of the credit cards I have:

HSBC silver: $400.00 limit, $0 balance- $59 AF (oldest card open '04)

HSBC platinum: $300.00 limit: $2.69 balance- $59 AF (open since '06)

Exxon: $900.00 limit: $34.95 balance (open since '05)

Bloomingdales store: $400.00 limit, $61.04 balance (open since '05)

Bloomingdales visa: $2000.00 limit, $189.53 balance (open since "08)

I called to have the AF waived on either one of these cards, but was declined. I also just received a preapproval letter from Discover More and once I get the exxon and Bloomingdales visa lowered more, I will take a chance on applying for the card. But my main question is should I close the HSBC card, either one perferbably the platinum one? Thanks,

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Should I close???

@Sinarta wrote:

I have read the Closing Credit Card thread but I still need help. Here is the rundown of the credit cards I have:

I called to have the AF waived on either one of these cards, but was declined. I also just received a preapproval letter from Discover More and once I get the exxon and Bloomingdales visa lowered more, I will take a chance on applying for the card. But my main question is should I close the HSBC card, either one perferbably the platinum one? Thanks,

What is your FICO score for EQ and TU? What is your  AAoA? 

Message 2 of 11
Sinarta
Established Member

EQ is 711 from equifax.com. TU, no clue.

What is AAoA? Looked it up on commong abbreviations but did not see

Message 3 of 11
DI
Super Contributor

@Sinarta wrote:

EQ is 711 from equifax.com. TU, no clue.

What is AAoA? Looked it up on commong abbreviations but did not see

Average Age of Accounts.    I'm determining if you should close the next to the oldest card with the annual fee.

Message 4 of 11
Sinarta
Established Member

HSBC silver: $400.00 limit, $0 balance- $59 AF (oldest card open '04) - 5 years

HSBC platinum: $300.00 limit: $2.69 balance- $59 AF (open since '06) - 3 years

Exxon: $900.00 limit: $34.95 balance (open since '05) - 4 years

Bloomingdales store: $400.00 limit, $61.04 balance (open since '05) - 4 years

Bloomingdales visa: $2000.00 limit, $189.53 balance (open since "08) - 1 year

Message 5 of 11
DI
Super Contributor

If all of those accounts are listed on your TU report, go to www.creditkarma.com.   Sign up for the free FAKO score.   There is a report card tool on the website that will give you your AAoA. 
Message 6 of 11
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Sinarta wrote:

I would consider closing one or both of these cards. If you decide to close just one, I'd close the platinum...it's the newest. The key will be whether or not you can keep your utilization down after you no longer have these credit limits to count toward utilization.

I know there is a lot of advice against closing cards, but at some point there is nothing to be gained by paying annual fees on cards that you don't need or use, especially if you can qualify for cards without annual fees.

There's nothing wrong with keeping the cards until the month before the annual fee will post.

Message 7 of 11
Sinarta
Established Member

Thanks for the advice LynetteM. I had a had a small balance on the platinum card, paid it off this morning and also some other cards. I will pay the bloomingdales visa and exxon off in two weeks, let these new balances post, apply for the Discover card and close one or both of the HSBC if I get approved for the Discover card.
Message 8 of 11
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Take this with a grain of salt...

I I were you, I would close both HSBC accounts.  As it is, you are less than 10% UTL even with closing the HSBC cards.   You have a good EQ score and a few decent cards...  If you can...  pay whatever you can to decrease balances this month and go for a EQ pulling Credit Union.  I think you may get a higher CL with a credit union that with discover.  .

Call bloomingdales to see about an increase on the store card...  should be a soft pull.

How many inquiries etc?  Do you have other cards?

Alliant would be one of many options...  Perhaps Penfed if low INQ's etc.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 9 of 11
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

You could try to combine the HSBC cards and keep the total open CL.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.