Super Contributor

Should I combine 2 BOA Cards into One?

I have BOA Windham Rewards MC $3K CL and Soverign Amex $5K Cl issued by FIA. Should I call BOA/FIA and see if I can combine both cards into card? One card is about 18 months old and other card is about 9 months old. I can close the 9 month old card and ask them to transfer the CL to Windham Rewards MC. With all the prime cards I have, I dont see any reason to carry many open cards if I can consolidate them into few.
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I combine 2 BOA Cards into One?

It's your credit but calling any of these banks is just giving them a reason to work you over.
Contributor

I think calling boa/ fia or any other big bank these days may turn into a nightmare ! you don't want them to combine the 2 cards into 1 closed account !! :smileyvery-happy:

Senior Contributor

I had good luck when I called them for a CLI (>2x), but anytime you ask BofA for anything it is a crap shoot.
Frequent Contributor

I really don't know what to say here. It doesn't seem like combining really helps you with your credit score much. If all you are after is lowing the number of cards, I'd probably wait till closer to Christmas when the retailers start giving VISA/MC/Amex some heat to make their Christmas a little bit better...
TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Senior Contributor

Karatz wrote:
I really don't know what to say here. It doesn't seem like combining really helps you with your credit score much. If all you are after is lowing the number of cards, I'd probably wait till closer to Christmas when the retailers start giving VISA/MC/Amex some heat to make their Christmas a little bit better...

There will be massive heat in every direction starting about 01NOV this year. It is going to be a very bad Christmas.
Frequent Contributor

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

Karatz wrote:

There will be massive heat in every direction starting about 01NOV this year. It is going to be a very bad Christmas.

That's my goal for having my last CC paid off, so no xmas interest bonus for them :smileyhappy:

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Senior Contributor

I haven't had any problems talking to BoA.  I've request CLI and done a PC on my account in the past 3 months.  They declined the CLI but approved the PC.

An $8k CL would surely be a handier card than either of the two now....IMO. 

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Super Contributor

txjohn wrote:

That is exactly what I am thinking. Each card I used to $7100 CL and they CLD them to $5k and $3K. I thought if I combine them I would have some decent card limit with $8K than two cards. Or I'll just sock drawer both cards as I stopped using them after the recent CLD.

Senior Contributor

concorduser wrote:

txjohn wrote:

That is exactly what I am thinking. Each card I used to $7100 CL and they CLD them to $5k and $3K. I thought if I combine them I would have some decent card limit with $8K than two cards. Or I'll just sock drawer both cards as I stopped using them after the recent CLD.

If that is your intention then go for it. I would wait until normal business hours next week before I made the call though.

Get a myFICO recommended credit card

Copyright ©2001-2013 Fair Isaac Corporation.
All rights reserved.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.