Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

Re: Should I come out of the garden for Walmart?

TwentyTwelve wrote:

I have often heard on these forums that having 3 cards is the best way to go. My utilization right now is 0 and I'm not planning on applying for any credit or other cards for a long time. I eventually want a couple of really prime cards, but I know that's at least 4 more years down the road because of the BK. I would possibly take advantage of the perks during the holidays, but it's not a sure thing.

I think 2 store cards from GE at this point would help you rather than hurt.  Especially if you 're not planning on applying for any new cards or major purchases.  You also might be able to refinance the car to a better rate through a credit union.

I would recommend Wal Mart and/or Amazon.

On the car, if you're paying more than 8%,  you should look at refi options to help you out long term.   Join a credit union if you haven't already...

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
TwentyTwelve

Ok, I think I'm going to wait until the end of December to app. The preapproval is good until Dec 30 and my 6th Barclays statement will cut a couple weeks before that and I should get a CLI. We shall see. 

Valued Contributor
Epcot

Sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted next month!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 809 EX 774 TU 805
App free since 4/11/13
Valued Contributor
daybreakgonesXe

TwentyTwelve wrote:

Ok, I think I'm going to wait until the end of December to app. The preapproval is good until Dec 30 and my 6th Barclays statement will cut a couple weeks before that and I should get a CLI. We shall see. 

That sounds like a win, win, win to me! You won't have to worry about Barclay's closing your account due to them being inq sensitive. Then you'll be able to add a new card and continuing building your credit

Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard $10k | JCPenney Platinum $7.5k | Shell Drive for Five $800 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $9.8k | TD Bank Easy Rewards Visa Signature $5k | Chase Sapphire Visa Signature $10k | American Express Blue Sky $25k | Discover IT $9.5k | SavingStar American Express $14.8k

EQ FICO 735 TU FICO 747 Credit Karma (TU) 789 Transrisk 846/990 Credit Sesame (EX) 768 Credit.com (EX) 768 VantageScore 3.0 745
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

[ Edited ]

I agree with the others, your plan is solid!  Best of luck to you when you pull the trigger!

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+