cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I come out of the garden for Walmart?

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I come out of the garden for Walmart?

@TwentyTwelve wrote:

I have often heard on these forums that having 3 cards is the best way to go. My utilization right now is 0 and I'm not planning on applying for any credit or other cards for a long time. I eventually want a couple of really prime cards, but I know that's at least 4 more years down the road because of the BK. I would possibly take advantage of the perks during the holidays, but it's not a sure thing.

I think 2 store cards from GE at this point would help you rather than hurt.  Especially if you 're not planning on applying for any new cards or major purchases.  You also might be able to refinance the car to a better rate through a credit union.

I would recommend Wal Mart and/or Amazon.

On the car, if you're paying more than 8%,  you should look at refi options to help you out long term.   Join a credit union if you haven't already...

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 15
TwentyTwelve

Ok, I think I'm going to wait until the end of December to app. The preapproval is good until Dec 30 and my 6th Barclays statement will cut a couple weeks before that and I should get a CLI. We shall see. 

Message 12 of 15
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted next month!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 13 of 15
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@TwentyTwelve wrote:

Ok, I think I'm going to wait until the end of December to app. The preapproval is good until Dec 30 and my 6th Barclays statement will cut a couple weeks before that and I should get a CLI. We shall see. 

That sounds like a win, win, win to me! You won't have to worry about Barclay's closing your account due to them being inq sensitive. Then you'll be able to add a new card and continuing building your credit

Message 14 of 15
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with the others, your plan is solid!  Best of luck to you when you pull the trigger!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.