cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I convert to Chase Freedom SIGNATURE?

tag
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

Should I convert to Chase Freedom SIGNATURE?

In late 2005, I purchased a car using a Chase balance transfer check.  In September of this year, I paid off that balance.   As a result, this account shows a relatively high Largest past balance:

Currently, this a non-Signature Chase Freedom card.  I contacted Chase today and was told that if I converted this card to a Signature Freedom, my credit history, including that $26,027 "Largest past balance" would remain unchanged.  I was also told that I could take $4273 (the difference between my $30,300 Credit limit and the $26,027 "Largest past balance" ) of this credit limit and apply it to my other Chase card. 

I never thought I'd ask this question:  Should I convert to the Chase Freedom Signature card?

EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I convert to Chase Freedom SIGNATURE?

With it reporting the highest balance (which mine does), I don't see how it could hurt if you wanted to change it over.

Is it EX that gives us the grief with the Chase siggy cards?

Message 2 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

psychic, it sounds to me like you are one of those who are perfectly set up to shift to a Signature card. You've established that one-time high balance, so unless you go writing more CC checks for cars, you're in great shape.

stef, I'm pretty sure that it's all three CRA's that are unable to figure what to do with signature-type cards. There is a proper way to code them --Dawn did an astonishing job of research on this last year --but it's hard to get them to code them correctly more than one or two months straight.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I got brave and deposited a $5k check into USAA from my siggy card when I first got it, so it reports a high enough balance that it shouldn't hurt me if something does slip and report one month. (Of course I turned around and immediately PIF)

Then I heard it is only one of the bureau's that it really affects UTL on and I believe it was EX. I still haven't let a balance report so I don't know if it is a huge factor or not, but covered the bases just in case.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU reports it like this:

Loan type [?] Credit Card

Credit limit [?] Not Reported

Largest past balance [?] $5,107

Terms [?] Not Reported

Account Type [?] Open Account

Account holder [?] Individual Account

Scheduled payment amount [?] Not Reported

My EX is reported like psychics first post. It is reported as OPEN on EQ, but I have SW via EQ's website.

Message Edited by stef37 on 11-11-2008 03:56 PM
Message 5 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Since you've got one, I defer to your experience.

I will point out, though, that accounts get named in various ways on the reports that we see, but they don't necessarily get treated in the way that they're named. Pretty much the only way that you can be sure on this is by seeing how your util changes, and even then, there's a lot of magic 8-ball involved.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know how to post screenshots, but I just went back and looked on my EX report and for the credit limit, it states $0!! So it's not the same as psychic's exactly.

Oh well, I will just not carry any balances on this card, since I use it for my rewards anyway.

Message 7 of 18
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I don't know the answer to this, but I would point out that as I type I have a Beatles song playing on youtube in the next tab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oZYqAeIdYk&feature=related

"Let it Be" - one of their greatest.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love that song!

Sorry for the TJ Psychic. Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would convert but that's me.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.