Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I drop a card or not?

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Should I drop a card or not?

I was recently lucky enough to add a pair of better credit cards with better limits than what I have.  They're stlil not great, but I'm happier. In any case, I'm considering dropping an old Orchard Bank or Cap One card with lower limits.  Is this wise?  I don't want to hurt the age of my credit history.  Assuming I have a zero balance, what's the best way to handle this?  Ideally I'd drop Orchard since it carries an annual fee, but it is also even with my first Cap one for my oldest credit card (three years)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I drop a card or not?

Unless you are paying an AF to gain access to better rewards it is always a good idea to dump a card when you are able that has an AF.  If you close a card today, it will still be on your credit and add to your AAOA for 10 years.  The only disadvantage of dumping a card is losing the CL, depending on the balance you carry this could cause an adverse effect on your util.

Personally, since you are happy with your new cards, I would dump the other cards when the AF comes due.  I am going to dump a Cap1 card in Jan when the AF comes due.

Message 2 of 5
swpopham
Established Contributor

Dump em . They served their purpose. Its not going to affect you as long as you pay in full
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 3 of 5
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Put them in SD, until the AF is due, then close them.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 5
CreditResuscitation
Contributor

Hey EaglesFan2006, just out of curiosity, is your Capital One card secured? If so, dump it because your chances of winning the lottery are better than getting that thing graduated. If it's unsecured, see if you're at least eligible for a product change before you completely close it. If I were you, I would keep the Capital One if it's unsecured and make sure the utilization is under 10%, and with frequent use, you'll be rewarded. Since Orchard was purchased by Capital One anyway I'd drop them immediately because it's basically the same card with an unreasonable annual fee. Their annual fees suck, so if you can avoid them, by all means do so.  

Starting Score: 546
Current Score: 460
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.