cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I even bother with the Sapphire?

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Should I even bother with the Sapphire?

@bs6054 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

Except for the churn.  If you can spend 3K in the first three months, you get the 40K points, which at a minimum, if you don't travel, is worth $400, and there is no AF.  Before the fee comes due, switch to a no-fee card.  So this is $400 free (providing you meet the spend and don't need the HP for something else)

Barclay's arrival is giving out $400 for $1000 spend in 3 months. Much better sign-up bonus.

Of course.......can always get both.

Smiley Very Happy

Yes, get both (I would if I hadn't done too much recently).  But isn't this card  either travel or statement credit against travel items to get full value?  So if you don't travel not sure how much you get back.

What's helpful is that "travel" is very loosely defined. You don't have to "travel" in the normal sense to apply the credit at full value. Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

ok i just called Barclays to find out. I was confused as well since I just got approved.

If I redeem it for cashback, 40k miles = $200 cashback.

If I redeem it for statement credit towards travel purchases = $400.

If I redeem points by booking for a future travel using those points, I get 10% back, so basically $440.

Oh wow, the $200 cashback just made this card much less appealing.

to be fair to them this is a pretty decent travel card.......though the CSP, Thank you Premier and even Prestige are probably better.

Oh well.......if they want to AA me and close this account because of my spree, I won't feel bad now anymore.  

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 22 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

Except for the churn.  If you can spend 3K in the first three months, you get the 40K points, which at a minimum, if you don't travel, is worth $400, and there is no AF.  Before the fee comes due, switch to a no-fee card.  So this is $400 free (providing you meet the spend and don't need the HP for something else)

Barclay's arrival is giving out $400 for $1000 spend in 3 months. Much better sign-up bonus.

Smiley Very Happy

Yes, get both (I would if I hadn't done too much recently).  But isn't this card  either travel or statement credit against travel items to get full value?  So if you don't travel not sure how much you get back.

What's helpful is that "travel" is very loosely defined. You don't have to "travel" in the normal sense to apply the credit at full value. Smiley Happy

Even if it's as loosely defined as Chase's, I don't see how I can spend $440 worth of toll booths, parking and uh what else is there?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 23 of 29
HiLine
Blogger

@enharu wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

Even if it's as loosely defined as Chase's, I don't see how I can spend $440 worth of toll booths, parking and uh what else is there?

I'm sure you can google to figure that out. Sorry I don't have the answer ready ...

Message 24 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

I'm sure you can google to figure that out. Sorry I don't have the answer ready ...

Airlines
Auto/truck/RV rental
Limos and taxis
Lodging
Travel agencies
Railways
Tolls and bridges
Parking (lots, meters, garages)
Bus
Time share

Would be nice if I was in NYC where taking the cab is common I guess.......... :/

Message 25 of 29
mxp114
Valued Contributor

I think the charge must be at least $75, so unless you're going from Manhattan to Atlantic City, it won't be $75 lol The other limitation is you must have enough points to cover the entire transaction. So a $700 airline ticket requires 70,000 miles, you can't do a partial redemption. This is what I was told. It's basically a 1% cashback card unless you have travel expenses to redeem the miles for, then it is a 2.2% "cashback" card.

Message 26 of 29
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

csp gives me 2x for my monthly parking fees (granted, only $16, but I have friends that spend >100/month). If you take a commuter train, light rail or subway, that counts. Airport parking (my employer reimburses, so why not), metered parking...I've even gotten 2x for a valet parking charge at a hotel. I have friends who spend several hundred/month on taxis. So, as with anything CSP related, it depends on your situation, where you live/work, etc.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 27 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

I think the charge must be at least $75, so unless you're going from Manhattan to Atlantic City, it won't be $75 lol The other limitation is you must have enough points to cover the entire transaction. So a $700 airline ticket requires 70,000 miles, you can't do a partial redemption. This is what I was told. It's basically a 1% cashback card unless you have travel expenses to redeem the miles for, then it is a 2.2% "cashback" card.

so travel expenses must be $75......and I can't do partial redemption...............o god so it's basically a 1% card.

Message 28 of 29
Open123
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

so travel expenses must be $75......and I can't do partial redemption...............o god so it's basically a 1% card.

Here's what you do:

1.  Travel redemption - Buy something travel related for $410.  Spend an additional $590 on whatever expenses you have anyway.  Get your bonus, and apply the 41,000 points to the $410 leaving a 0 balance.

2.  Regular Redemption - Buy something (gift card) for $210.  Spend an addtional $790 and apply 21,000 points to the $210 purchase.

That's it and just SD the card for an additional bonus.  For the NFL card, you can even apply the bonus before paying your bill since the points posted instantly, but Barclay may have corrected that error in judgment requiring you to pay your bill first before applying points the following cycle, a la Amex.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.