Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I even have a travel card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I even have a travel card?

I'm young, I don't travel a lot. I'm actually slaving away in grad school for the next 5 years so besides the occasional domestic conference here and there, I don't expect to use much of anything. However, I know from my parents' experience that the travel game is long-term so I would like to start the accumulation where it makes sense. I don't care about perks, just looking to rack up points/miles with daily spending.

I'm on an app spree currently before school, 3 cards just this month (well 2 functional ones since the BBR is just for free $$). I got the Barclays Arrival b/c I like Barclays, the card's pretty, and I wanted a no FTF card. However now that I've settled down, I don't see the point of it...effective 2.1% statement credit is about the same I get from Double Cash and Arrival is 2x only on travel/dining. It doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle of swapping cards in usage just to get a measly 0.1%.

Are there any other travel cards that are good for me? Nothing with an AF makes sense. Or should I just stick to maximizing cash back stuff?

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Should I even have a travel card?

The Arrival, as you've discovered, offers basically nothing that a Double Cash doesn't, and simply has more restrictions. Not much point to it. Barclays has steadily stripped it of almost every small advantage it may have had.

Your scenario sounds best suited for cash back. If you find yourself grasping for cards to app for, your needs are probably well met at this time.
Message 2 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is the bonus! Free $200 towards travel isn't bad and with some of the ugly cards out there it's nice to have a good-looking one and the no FTF.

Just wondering if some myFICO gurus might know of a card out there that's escaped me thus far..
Message 3 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe app for the CSP. If you feel the need, it has great transfers to partners (airlines) and if you don't need the travel rewards you can use it for cash back.
Message 4 of 46
driftless
Valued Contributor

A lot of it really depends on the airlines that you are likely to use. If you are not over 5/24 you may want to look at Chase's CSP to go along with your Freedom card or you can look Amex's MR program. Most true travel cards have an AF. As KDM suggested you may want to consider a no AF cash back card. You also might be a good candidate for Cap One's Venture card.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 5 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

One "true" travel card with no AF is the Amex Everyday.   If you use it 20 times a month you get a minimnum of 1.2  MR per $ spent, and more on groceries

But I'm not sure how much sense it makes to store points for the very long term, as they can devalue quickly, and may be hard to use if for example the partners don't match your new needs.

Message 6 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm young, I don't travel a lot. I'm actually slaving away in grad school for the next 5 years so besides the occasional domestic conference here and there, I don't expect to use much of anything. However, I know from my parents' experience that the travel game is long-term so I would like to start the accumulation where it makes sense. I don't care about perks, just looking to rack up points/miles with daily spending.

I'm on an app spree currently before school, 3 cards just this month (well 2 functional ones since the BBR is just for free $$). I got the Barclays Arrival b/c I like Barclays, the card's pretty, and I wanted a no FTF card. However now that I've settled down, I don't see the point of it...effective 2.1% statement credit is about the same I get from Double Cash and Arrival is 2x only on travel/dining. It doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle of swapping cards in usage just to get a measly 0.1%.

Are there any other travel cards that are good for me? Nothing with an AF makes sense. Or should I just stick to maximizing cash back stuff?

An even prettier card is a see through one.

I wouldn't throw away the idea of paying an annual fee. Sometimes the extra points/cash back abilities of the card more than make up for it.

With 4.5 points per dollar on supermarket purchases, 3 points per dollar at gas stations, and 1.5 points per dollar on all other purchases, the AMEX Everyday Perferred has your Barclays and your Bank Americard beat. Obviously on gas and at supermarkets, it has your Double Cash beat.  I'm currently not an AMEX cardholder, but I've heard the points are worth more than $.01 a piece when used through AMEX's travel website, so it's good to redeem for those domestic conferences you travel to.

The AMEX EDP also gives you baggage insurance, where the Double Cash doesn't.

Having one point maximizer for a measley $7.91 a month and a 2% back card to use on all other categories should take care of you.

Message 7 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haaaaate the see thru'ness of my Amex BCE card.
Message 8 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've no allegiance anywhere, couldn't care less. Whatever is cheapest without crazy layovers (not Spirit though, screw them). I guess the real question for me is that with these options that essentially pay out 2% and I don't travel enough for partners to have any benefit, is there a point if I can just use Double Cash? Is it more hassle than it is worth just to be able to say I have a cool travel card? :/
Message 9 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CSP is a really good travel card as other have suggested. In your case though, I'd go with the Freedom Unlimited to go along with your Freedom. This will allow you to accrue UR points while you're in school. Save up the points and when you're ready to travel get the CSP. The CSP will allow you to transfer the points to one of their travel partners (as well as having the travel insurances, car rental insurance, and no FTF benefits). And the points are usually worth at least $.02 ea. when you transfer them.

You'll want to plan this out in advance. Fist make sure that when you are done with school and ready to travel that you aren't over the Chase 5/24 rule. Then plan to get the card a few months in advance of booking your trip, shoot for at least 4 months. You want to be able to meet the min spend to get the bonus points so you can apply them to your trip.

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.