Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I even have a travel card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I even have a travel card?

Guess I should take off the BoA card on my sig, I don't use it at all but need it open for the AAoA on my thin as paper file haha
Message 11 of 46
driftless
Valued Contributor

It does not sound like you are at point in your life where a travel card really helps you. There is no reason that you can't enjoy traveling with your existing cards.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 12 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe app for the CSP. If you feel the need, it has great transfers to partners (airlines) and if you don't need the travel rewards you can use it for cash back.

It also is good in combination with your Freedom card since they both accrue UR points and they can be combined.

Message 13 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I've no allegiance anywhere, couldn't care less. Whatever is cheapest without crazy layovers (not Spirit though, screw them). I guess the real question for me is that with these options that essentially pay out 2% and I don't travel enough for partners to have any benefit, is there a point if I can just use Double Cash? Is it more hassle than it is worth just to be able to say I have a cool travel card? :/

I understand what you're saying about the Double Cash though... You and I both own one of those cards.

It's nice to be able to earn $200 back on $10,000 in spend.

The idea of [reputable] miles cards is to give you redemptions at higher rates than .01 cent a mile, and also offer you free benefits that travelers would want (such as lounge access, free wifi perks, free checked bags, baggage insurance, airline credits, hotel upgrades, hotel credits, free massages, upgrades on rental cars, etc).

Message 14 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The CSP is a really good travel card as other have suggested. In your case though, I'd go with the Freedom Unlimited to go along with your Freedom. This will allow you to accrue UR points while you're in school. Save up the points and when you're ready to travel get the CSP. The CSP will allow you to transfer the points to one of their travel partners (as well as having the travel insurances, car rental insurance, and no FTF benefits). And the points are usually worth at least $.02 ea. when you transfer them.

You'll want to plan this out in advance. Fist make sure that when you are done with school and ready to travel that you aren't over the Chase 5/24 rule. Then plan to get the card a few months in advance of booking your trip, shoot for at least 4 months. You want to be able to meet the min spend to get the bonus points so you can apply them to your trip.

Hm thank you I know this is the suggestion du jour on these boards but is it the best? Accumulating 1.5% on FU for the bonus redemption later with CSP gives 1.875%. The flexibility of transferring to rewards partners doesn't apply to me, so should I bother when Double Cash would be consistently 2% through school? Smiley Frustrated

Message 15 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Guess I should take off the BoA card on my sig, I don't use it at all but need it open for the AAoA on my thin as paper file haha

You can call BoA and request to change this card to the BoA Cash Rewards card. You earn 3% cash back on gas, 2% on groceries  (including wholesale clubs like BJ's and Costco) and 1% on everything else. Keep in mind You won't qualify for the bonus if you upgrade the card. 

They also have a travel rewards card that could be another option. 

Message 16 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can call BoA and request to change this card to the BoA Cash Rewards card. You earn 3% cash back on gas, 2% on groceries  (including wholesale clubs like BJ's and Costco) and 1% on everything else. Keep in mind You won't qualify for the bonus if you upgrade the card. 

They also have a travel rewards card that could be another option. 

Yes thank you! This is definitely the logical thing to do. However, as a pitiful human being of emotion, I am superstitious about this account number and don't want it changed. I'm fine with swiping it every couple months for a Gatorade to keep it open
Message 17 of 46
driftless
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hm thank you I know this is the suggestion du jour on these boards but is it the best? Accumulating 1.5% on FU for the bonus redemption later with CSP gives 1.875%. The flexibility of transferring to rewards partners doesn't apply to me, so should I bother when Double Cash would be consistently 2% through school? Smiley Frustrated

You have both Freedom and time. Use Freedom for the 5x categories and your other CB cards at other times.  Once you get the CSP and meet the spend you will be able to take a nice trip to Europe. 

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 18 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes thank you! This is definitely the logical thing to do. However, as a pitiful human being of emotion, I am superstitious about this account number and don't want it changed. I'm fine with swiping it every couple months for a Gatorade to keep it open

My account number stayed the same. I upgraded my BoA Platinum Visa card in May 2016 to the Cash Rewards card . I started with a secured card with a $400 CL with BoA in 2013 that became unsecured in 2014. I was able to change this card to the BoA Cash Rewards card and I also applied for a CLI. My CL went from $400 to $5k. 

But I had to ask a second time before my request to change the card was approved. My original request was denied. But thanks to this forum, I was encouraged to ask a second time. 

Message 19 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

CreditSnorlax wrote: Hm thank you I know this is the suggestion du jour on these boards but is it the best? Accumulating 1.5% on FU for the bonus redemption later with CSP gives 1.875%. The flexibility of transferring to rewards partners doesn't apply to me, so should I bother when Double Cash would be consistently 2% through school? Smiley Frustrated

They are worth more if you transfer to partners vs the Chase UR Travel Center. UR points are valued at about 2.1 cents per point, this is if you transfer the points to a chase partner airline or hotel. Thant means each dollar you spend with the CFU you can get around 3.15 cents per dollar spent with the card. . But again, this goes towards travel and not cash back. If you go through the Chase UR Travel Center, then yes they are only work 1.875 cents per dollar spent on the CFU.

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.