cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I garden longer for AmEx SPG or get my foot in with a charge card?

tag
Commutator
Valued Member

Should I garden longer for AmEx SPG or get my foot in with a charge card?

I am planning to apply for the SPG in November, when I'll have a year of history. Should I try to get my foot in with a PRG next month (don't sound like they hate thin files) to get 3 months' worth of positive AmEx history before I jump for the SPG, or just garden till November? I have 3 inquiries on Experian.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I garden longer for AmEx SPG or get my foot in with a charge card?

As the old saying goes if you have to ask you already know the answer. In my opinion though waiting not only betters you chances but may get you a better APR. If you decide to get a second card from AMEX be sure to wait until January.  The member since will be 11 the month and 2014 the year you became a member.  If you got a second card in January it would be member since date of 01/2014 gaining on paper almost a whole year.

01 the month you applied an 2014 the year you became a member. Good Luck whatever you decide.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 6
Commutator
Valued Member

@coldnmn wrote:

As the old saying goes if you have to ask you already know the answer. In my opinion though waiting not only betters you chances but may get you a better APR. If you decide to get a second card from AMEX be sure to wait until January.  The member since will be 11 the month and 2014 the year you became a member.  If you got a second card in January it would be member since date of 01/2014 gaining on paper almost a whole year.

01 the month you applied an 2014 the year you became a member. Good Luck whatever you decide.

Getting the SPG in November and then PRG in January is the most attractive option to me, but if holding that PRG for three months will give me better odds with the SPG (I'm not very confident about the SPG), I'm willing to forgo the AAoA boost this time. The thing is, will it actually help much since it's only three months? Or will the recent inquiry actually harm me? APR isn't really a practical concern for me since I always PIF.

Incidentally, how much harder is it to get the SPG compared with say, the Gold Delta/EveryDay/EveryDay Preferred?

Message 3 of 6
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Commutator wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

Getting the SPG in November and then PRG in January is the most attractive option to me, but if holding that PRG for three months will give me better odds with the SPG (I'm not very confident about the SPG), I'm willing to forgo the AAoA boost this time. The thing is, will it actually help much since it's only three months? Or will the recent inquiry actually harm me? APR isn't really a practical concern for me since I always PIF.

Incidentally, how much harder is it to get the SPG compared with say, the Gold Delta/EveryDay/EveryDay Preferred?

Someone else will have to answer your questions about the other AMEX cards. Lifes road isn't always going to be smooth what doesn't seem practical today maybe very practical when one hits the bumps in life.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 6
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I was wondering in your situation if you wait you could possibly do prg and spg in one HP for January,since it one charger and revolver, don't know exact details on how that works though

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 6
Commutator
Valued Member

@mongstradamus wrote:

I was wondering in your situation if you wait you could possibly do prg and spg in one HP for January,since it one charger and revolver, don't know exact details on how that works though

I want to get a revolver in November though. Hoping that the 3x CLI will be enough to get me a 5k tradeline so that I stand a chance at World MasterCard/Visa Signature early next year.

I'm also anticipating huge spending in December that will make the 5k spend requirement on the SPG so easy to reach.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.