Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I garden?

tag
subsnao
Regular Contributor

Should I garden?

I now know what the app itch is... And it is not a good itch.

I recently opened a Discover IT ($1k limit) and an AMEX BCE ($2k limit), in addition to PCing my Cap1 Journey to a QS (waiting on an EO decision on my CLI request. $500 limit currently). My scores are below in my sig and all come from apps (the EQ score came from a CLI denial by Cap1 (this is what I called Cap1 about. Seeing fi they will throw me a bone). MMy annual income is just over $7500, and I have a car payment of $250/month. I was thinking of applying for the BoA 123 card, but am also seriously considering gardening for 6 months to a year. AAoA is 1 year 7 months with the longest being 2 years. Currently have student loans, car loan and 3 CCs. No baddies, always paid on time (although not always PIF). My parents are pretty adamant about me stopping the applying for cards, as they do not want me making the same mistakes that they did when they were my age. I have pretty good willpower and am pretty frugal as it is.

Any advice?

EDIT: Forgot to add in INQ info. I have 3 recent INQs. 1 from Citi when I appd for a card from them and was denied (don't know the bereau). 1 from Discover, TU. 1 from AMEX, EX. 

In the garden as of 2/22/2015
Scores:
TU: 753 (Discover FICO 7/2014) EQ: 721 (FICO 4/2014) EX: 723 (FICO 3/2014)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
tinom1234
New Contributor

Re: Should I garden?

If you want to. Other than aaoa, everything looks good. That's not a lot of inqs at all.
EX 758 | EQ 721 | TU 768
Goal: 760+ across the board by May 2015
Gold Delta SkyMiles AMEX $32.8K | Citi Thank You Preferred $7K | Discover It $8.2K | Chase $3K + a few store cards
Message 2 of 11
cleanitup
Regular Contributor

IMO I say garden, and lets these cards grow with you.   Just my 2 cents.  

Message 3 of 11
subsnao
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the input guys! I realize I derped earlier on the INQs, but not a big derp. I have 5 on my report, going to be 6 with the AMEX approval. However, 3 of those are over a year old and no longer impact my score. So not a huge derp, but a derp nonetheless. After doing some more research, I have decided against the BoA 123. Something about all the hate that BoA gets turns me off. Not an insult to those who bank with them. I decided that if I am going to apply again, it will be for Chase Freedom. Having gas be 5% cash back 2 times a year is pretty neat, as gas is a larger portion of my monthly spending. 

Any other advice?

Scores:
Message 4 of 11
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

You are off to a fabulous start.  Gardening for 6 mos. would better your position for approval and a higher CL.  Come join the Garen Club; it's a great and ever expanding group.Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Come join us in the garden Smiley Happy we have just as much fun as these folks apping Smiley Wink heheh

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 6 of 11
Irisa
Senior Contributor

@djc1puno wrote:
Come join us in the garden Smiley Happy we have just as much fun as these folks apping Smiley Wink heheh

+1 Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
subsnao
Regular Contributor

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

You are off to a fabulous start.  Gardening for 6 mos. would better your position for approval and a higher CL.  Come join the Garen Club; it's a great and ever expanding group.Smiley Happy

You twisted my arm. Gardening it is! And in 6 months or so I will app for the Chase Freedom. 

Scores:
Message 8 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@subsnao wrote:

You twisted my arm. Gardening it is! And in 6 months or so I will app for the Chase Freedom. 

Good choice to garden subsnao

All those gardeners recruited you I see 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 11
tinom1234
New Contributor

@subsnao wrote:

hehe! I'm gardening as of today...I realllllly want a Chase Sapphire Preferred!

EX 758 | EQ 721 | TU 768
Goal: 760+ across the board by May 2015
Gold Delta SkyMiles AMEX $32.8K | Citi Thank You Preferred $7K | Discover It $8.2K | Chase $3K + a few store cards
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.