cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get Discover More? I am really hesitated.

tag
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I get Discover More? I am really hesitated.

I love my Discover More! Really, they have treated me pretty well and the card sees heavy usage. Not a fan of the balance transfers but other than that, it is a great card. The 5% cashback offers are good and honestly, racking up 3K in charges doesn't take very long. Customer service has been great and the card has grown with me in just a couple of years: approved 12/08 for $5490; telephone CL option in 10/09 for an additional 2K; auto CLI in May of this year to $8990.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Megan2992 wrote:
I love my Discover More card, and their website and customer service is fantastic and very user friendly. If the rewards are your main concern, keep in mind that Discover also offers Shop Discover, which offers 5%-10% cashback on online orders through 100's of partners ranging from department stores to travel to specialty retailers. If you do a good amount of online shopping I would take a look since you can rack up rewards quickly that way.

I actually can tell you that I shop for everything online but I can actually the same cashback they offer in most of the cases through other websites. Thanks for the advice.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Megan2992 wrote:
I love my Discover More card, and their website and customer service is fantastic and very user friendly. If the rewards are your main concern, keep in mind that Discover also offers Shop Discover, which offers 5%-10% cashback on online orders through 100's of partners ranging from department stores to travel to specialty retailers. If you do a good amount of online shopping I would take a look since you can rack up rewards quickly that way.

I've shopped at several that are as much as 20%.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

I will check the merchants once more and if I found many of those offering 20% that I buy from frequently, I may go for it.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KingAdrock wrote:

I'm quite happy with my Discover, it is in fact a CC I'd recommend. The spending tier for everyday stuff isn't so good, but the 5% stuff adds up really fast. I just keep in mind what's 5% right now and use my Discover exclusively for that. For example it's now for grocery stores, so now I don't pull out any other card for groceries. I even went to Six Flags last month and Discover had a promotion that you could instantly get an extra 5% off almost anything in the park. That was a nice surprise.

Caveats are not everybody takes Discover, (5% on movies is great except my local theater is Visa/MC only) and they love to call you occasionally offering you extra junk like credit monitoring and payment protection. Bit annoying.

Well, that is a very smart thinking that may make me get it, but does Discover rotates this 5% every year? Thanks for the advice

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been receiving Discover More pre-approved offers every month for a year but I am really very hesitated every time I think about accepting it for some reasons. The main concern is that all my credit cards (1 VISA, 2 MC, 1 AMEX) are giving me at least 1% on every day purchases while Discover has a spending limit of $3,000/year first to get 1% cashback and only 0.25% on the $3,000. I understand that there special categories through which you get more but does it really worth adding Discover to my CC portfolio with this concern being there?

I have total 8 CCs ...  1 Amex Blue / 1 Discover More / 1 Citi MC / 1 Freedom VISA / 1 Freedom MC/  2 NFCU rewards VISA  / 1 non-reward Chase VISA.

I use my ccs by rewards month to month:

September 

• Discover More  -  Grocery Stores and Drug Stores (this is special categories other than regular quaterly categories)
  • Freedom VISA/MC  -  Gas
  • Citi Driver's Edge - Oil Change / Grocery Stores (does not accept any  Discover)
  • Amex/NFCU VISA/Chase VISA  - One small purchase on to just keep it as an active
  • Bonus % online shopping with Amex/Discover More/Chase Freedom.
  • Everything else will be on the Freedom since I have banking acct with chase for more rewards

October ~ December

• Discover More  -  Restaurants / Department Stores / Clothing Stores   plus, additional categories when they offers.
  • Freedom VISA/MC  -  Grocery Stores / Department Stores / Movies
  • Citi Driver's Edge - Oil Change / Drug Stores / Gas
  • Amex/NFCU VISA/Chase VISA  - One small purchase on to just keep it as an active
  • Bonus % online shopping with Amex/Discover More/Chase Freedom
  • Everything else will be on the Freedom since I have banking acct with chase for more rewards

I see that you are concerned about 1% rewards system on Discover More.  Why you are focusing on it?  Me?  I don't care about 1% rewards.  I am focusing on 5% rewards categories to earn as much as possible points with them.  Also, I know that many of places does not accept Discover just like Amex.   *The 99 Cents Only Store, they accept Discover but not Amex.   You just need to know where you can use your Discover and how you can maximize your rewards with all of ccs you have.

At last, I think it is good idea to add Discover to your wallet.

I will think seriously about it.  have one more question since you have AMEX Blue. I have AMEX but from Bank of America and I am not happy at all since I cannot use the AMEX website for shopping or any offers that come directly from AMEX. Do you think I should consider getting an AMEX card directly from AMEX or this would be a hassle and mess up?

Thanks a lot.

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@voidman wrote:

What is the meaning of credit card portfolio? Judging by your post, I think you have a good Fico score so this portforlio means very little, also I think you really don't need the credit card for additonal credit but rather only looking for Discover network.

I was in the similar boat as you, i did not want  another credit card but the rewards are good. I applied and got it. But I would not apply just for the sake of adding a discover card. 

I have visa,mc,amex. But discover with so many preapprovals I have received is not yet intesting card to have.

Yes they do have good service and good web interface, so does Amex (which you already have)

These pre-approvals are spinning a web around you Smiley Wink

Thank you very much for your e-mail. I think you did understand my profile very well Smiley Happy I was already interested to add Discover to my wallet and they keep sending me every month. The other thing is that the AMEX I have is not directly from AMEX company but it is rather from BoA which makes me unhappy sometimes because I cannot use the wonderful AMEX website and network. What do you think?

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Great Card but I have mixed feelings about it. The CS is great and the 5% cashback bonus is also great, however, they give out small CL's. I got a 2K CL a year ago and it has stayed like that and I have autopay with them through the year with the balance auto paid in full every month. They have never given me a CLI and neither the luv button has appeared. Others have reported CLI successes.... I am thinking about SD'ing the card. I have had better experience from CITI which has gone from 7K to 10.5K now.

CITI is the best. They really understand customers very well and always treat me as a valued customer and offers me the best in everything including CLIs

Message 17 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

oshoair, I'm glad that you seem to be getting the info you sought.

For those of you who are newish to the forums, and trying to reply to multiple posts, you can hit the "quote" button above on the right of the text box, where you type your reply. (Be sure to click the specific post that you're replying to.) That will let other readers will know which post you're commenting upon. Smiley Happy

eta: Wow, that was one heck of an edit job! Smiley Surprised Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

oshoair, I'm glad that you seem to be getting the info you sought.

For those of you who are newish to the forums, and trying to reply to multiple posts, you can hit the "quote" button above on the right of the text box, where you type your reply. (Be sure to click the specific post that you're replying to.) That will let other readers will know which post you're commenting upon. Smiley Happy

eta: Wow, that was one heck of an edit job! Smiley Surprised Smiley Very Happy

Well, that was a nice advice. I actually wanted to do it from the beginning but did not know how to.

Message 19 of 21
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you very much for your e-mail. I think you did understand my profile very well Smiley Happy I was already interested to add Discover to my wallet and they keep sending me every month. The other thing is that the AMEX I have is not directly from AMEX company but it is rather from BoA which makes me unhappy sometimes because I cannot use the wonderful AMEX website and network. What do you think?

There should be no problem having another card with the AMEX brand form American Express in addition to the one from BofA.    They are seperate banks.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.