cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get a cc before of ather home purchase????

tag
haapril
Contributor

Should I get a cc before of ather home purchase????

Planning to close this week, but will need to do some fixing up the place afther purchase. When is it a good time to apply for cc after home purcahse?????

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I get a cc before of ather home purchase????

After
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 2 of 7
-RED
Regular Contributor

After.

Not sure what score you have now, but...

You need a 740 or better middle score to get the best rate on conventional financing, or 620 [sone to be 640!!!] or better on FHA.

IE; If you have 700 Equifax, 800 Experian, 600 TU, your middle score would be a 700!!!

I would make darn sure you don't play with the possiblitity of that dropping.

If you are approved now, then wait unlil you close on the home before you consider getting any cards that you think you might need.

I hope this helps you, and may you be blessed with you home search, and purchase!

-800 or Bust...!
Message 3 of 7
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

+1
Message 4 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Usually (as in not always) there's a delay before a mortgage shows up on a credit report. If you close on 9/25, there's a good chance that it won't show up until 11/1, or even 12/1, depending on how briskly they shuffle the paperwork.

If you're afraid that a newly-reporting mortgage might temporarily hurt your score, go CC shopping pretty soon after closing, before the mortgage reports.

Congrats on your new home!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 7
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Definitely after. So much as an inquiry could get you denied. After the papers are signed, who cares.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They pulled our credit on the pre-approval and again the day of closing.  We also signed documents prior to the closing indicating what new credit had been applied for or received since the pre-app.

+1 for Hauling's advice - wait til after closing but before new mortgage reports if you believe the mortgage will cause a score drop. 

Congratulations on your new home and have fun with fine-tuning it to your needs - that can be such an adventure - your very own brand of reality show Smiley Wink!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.