Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get a new Credit Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I get a new Credit Card?

Hello.  I'm looking for some advice.  I have had three credit cards for just over six months.  A secured wellsfargo card ($500.00), a cap one card ($800.00), and a student visa with cap one ($550.00).  I also have a paid off car loan showing on my credit report and student loans.  I have never missed a payment and my credit ut is less than 10%.  My fico 8 scores range from 668 to 685.  I am wondering if now is the time to get a better credit card or if I should wait longer.  I would like one that offers rewards and does not have an annual fee.  I checked if i was pre-approved for anything with cap one and the quicksilver visa sig popped up.  What do you think?  Is the quicksilver a decent card?  Any other recomendations?  Any input or advice would be much appreciated!  Oh yeah, i'd also want to close my other credit card accounts if I end up getting one with a better limit and no annual fee.  The 500 bucks back from the secured card would be great and not having to pay a fee to cap one would be great also. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I get a new Credit Card?

If you have no bad entries in your reports, Discover It. You won't get hit with a triple pull like you would with Cap One.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never had any bad entries.  I'm just new to revolving credit.  Do you think my fico scores are good enough for a discover card?

Message 3 of 13
Aarvard
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never had any bad entries.  I'm just new to revolving credit.  Do you think my fico scores are good enough for a discover card?

I think you are good to go for Dicover if you don't have any baddies on your reports. 

03/25/2015 TU 08 765, EX 08 747, EQ 08 757, EQ 04 754.
01/30/2016 TU 08 775, EX 08 752, EQ 08 744
Goal: 780+ across all models.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep, good enough for Discover. They like thin clean files.

Message 5 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello.  I'm looking for some advice.  I have had three credit cards for just over six months.  A secured wellsfargo card ($500.00), a cap one card ($800.00), and a student visa with cap one ($550.00).  I also have a paid off car loan showing on my credit report and student loans.  I have never missed a payment and my credit ut is less than 10%.  My fico 8 scores range from 668 to 685.  I am wondering if now is the time to get a better credit card or if I should wait longer.  I would like one that offers rewards and does not have an annual fee.  I checked if i was pre-approved for anything with cap one and the quicksilver visa sig popped up.  What do you think?  Is the quicksilver a decent card?  Any other recomendations?  Any input or advice would be much appreciated!  Oh yeah, i'd also want to close my other credit card accounts if I end up getting one with a better limit and no annual fee.  The 500 bucks back from the secured card would be great and not having to pay a fee to cap one would be great also. 

Once you get approved for the new cards you should consider calling Wells Fargo and CapOne rather than just closing the cards. You should ask for them to unsecure (Wells Fargo) or eliminate the annual fee (CapOne). The worst they can do is say no and then you go along with your original plan. But at least give them a chance since having a few cards can be helpful (if you want them). But I totally agree with closing if there's an AF or if it's secured. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 6 of 13
baller4life
Super Contributor

Yep Discover!!!
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't "need" a new credit card, since your credit limits with others are fine. You obviousy want one, so you should get one. Only way to stop the desire to have one.

I would say either get a Discover card or get the US Airways card, if only to get the 50,000 bonus miles.

Just be careful though. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SnackTrader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Once you get approved for the new cards you should consider calling Wells Fargo and CapOne rather than just closing the cards. You should ask for them to unsecure (Wells Fargo) or eliminate the annual fee (CapOne). The worst they can do is say no and then you go along with your original plan. But at least give them a chance since having a few cards can be helpful (if you want them). But I totally agree with closing if there's an AF or if it's secured. 

I wonder if cap one would turn my card into a no AF quicksivler.  Ever hear of them doing something like that?

Message 9 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder if cap one would turn my card into a no AF quicksivler.  Ever hear of them doing something like that?

That actually happened a lot through the Executive Office. But not pretty typical from regular CSR based on what I've read here. Like I mentioned above, worst thing they can do is say no. And even then, you can try elevating to higher levels of customer service. However, if you're credit worthy you can always just apply for the card and see if you get the $100 signup bonus. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.