Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get a new card??

tag
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

Should I get a new card??

So, I have recently been enjoying the benefits of having good credit (thanks to myFICO! Smiley Very Happy ) and am rather happy with the cards that I have now. However, I will be closing my Cap1 card since it will NEVER grow with me and my Kay card will be closed in Feb due to inactivity. I was wondering which card I should get next. 

I like cards that give rewards; from prior posts, I spend most of my money on gas and food 

I am a college student so my income is ~16k per year

My Util is relatively low and currently stands at 18%. 

My AAoA is around 4 yrs since my parents added me as an AU. Will drop once my Discover starts reporting. 

I have a lot of Inq. I believe they currently stand at: 4 on Eq 2 TU and 2 Ex. 

I also want a card that will grow with generous CLI and I am looking at getting some store cards as well. 

I plan on apping sometime in January.  thanks in advance, everyone =D

Edit: I was considering the Amazon card and possibly Best Buy. Im not sure how they are, however. 

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Should I get a new card??

#1 - Is that 16k income including any scholarships/grants (any money from your school that doesn't require repayment (Not Loans))

#2 The Chase Amazon Visa isn't terribly difficult to qualify for, both of my sisters got it without any credit history whatsoever, and they both love it. (One sister got $1000, the other got $1500, incomes ~20k) You might have to recon but Chase's recons are supposed to be pretty good. 

#3 best buy is kinda "eh" with their cards, because from what I've read, the store card is harder to get than the mastercard, and the mastercard has an AF up to $59 and usually doesn't grow (cap1) but I've also seen some people with Best Buy store cards with limits up to 30k 

#4 - Are you sure you wanna close your cap1? I would ask them to waive AF first, (they just might do it) and if not then I would (maybe) close it since it is just about your highest limit (-$100) 

Edit: Who do you do your banking with? I would consider talking to them, or possibly looking into joining a local CU. 

Message 2 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1 on the CU.  Can get higher CL and is nice if you have a local branch.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 11
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

The 16k income is from my job. I dont get enough financial aid (scholarships + loans) in order to pay for school - I end up paying about $1500 a semester. My Cap1 doesnt have an AF so I was just going to SD it; I just dont want to have too many lines and start hurting my scores. 

The bank that I currently use no longer offers CCs, but they said they will be sometime next year. I was interested in the Amazon card since I buy all of my books from them plus almost all of my apartment stuff. 

Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 4 of 11
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

Also, do I NEED to be a member of my local CU in order to get their card?? I really like my current bank and dont want to open another checking/savings and move everything over. If I just applied, what are my chances of getting a good limit?

Message 5 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Citi Forward gives 5x for $1 spent at bookstores, which I believe incl Amazon. https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-forward/

5 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on purchases at restaurants (including fast food), bookstores, music stores, video rental stores and movie theaters; 1 ThankYou Point for every $1 spent on all other purchases

It seems really geared for college students IMO.

Priceline Visa (Barclay's) gives 2% on everything. https://www.pricelinevisa.com/

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

If you recieve any scholarships or grants though, despite the fact they are spent, it is still technically income since it's going towards paying off yoyr expenses.

I'll +1 the citi forward, I've heard great things about it.

I think the chase amazon is 1% all, 2% gas,restaurants, and drugstores a d then 3% on amazon as well, but the ge amazon im fairly sure does not earn rewards.
Message 7 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

GE Amazon doesn't earn rewards. The only "perk" is financing offers on Amazon. I was seriously looking at apping for the card until I realized that. It's better to use another CC for Amazon purchases to get rewards.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 8 of 11
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Citi Forward gives 5x for $1 spent at bookstores, which I believe incl Amazon. https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-forward/

5 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on purchases at restaurants (including fast food), bookstores, music stores, video rental stores and movie theaters; 1 ThankYou Point for every $1 spent on all other purchases

It seems really geared for college students IMO.

Priceline Visa (Barclay's) gives 2% on everything. https://www.pricelinevisa.com/

I went ahead and appd for the Citi Forward and got approved for 2.1k and 0% APR for 12 months. 12.99 APR after that Smiley Very Happy thats my lowest yet! Im going to start using my Citi cards more so I can exchange the points towards my student loans 

Message 9 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Congratulations. I'm looking into getting the citi forward once I get out of the garden and by then my scores should be good enough that I can get a nice limit Smiley Very Happy 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.