cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get a secured credit card in addition to my 2 unsecured cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I get a secured credit card in addition to my 2 unsecured cards?

I've had a card from Cap1 for 6 months now with a CL of $3500, and I applied for the Discover it card last night and was approved for a $2000 limit. I'm really excited about that, but I'm still wondering how I can further improve my score. One of the things that is bogging my score down is the limited types of credit. So now I'm wondering if a secured card on top of these 2 unsecured cards would help. I heard that an unsecured card would show up on my report as "installment" credit, vs. revolving. Would it be worth it? If so, which card would I most benefit from?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I get a secured credit card in addition to my 2 unsecured cards?

I also applied for the chase sapphire last night and I think my application was denied. I'm still debating on whether or not to call reconsideration.

Message 2 of 18
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

It makes more sense to me for you to get a small credit building loan if you're looking to improve credit mix.
It goes: Mortgage(best)
Installment loans
Revolving credit cards
Retail cards(worst)
2/16/13 Scores EX: 594, TU:513, EQ:563 -- Cap One Secured: $200, Kay's: $400

GOAL #1: 625 -- CHECK!

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Goal #2: A travel card. REC ME!
Message 3 of 18
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had a card from Cap1 for 6 months now with a CL of $3500, and I applied for the Discover it card last night and was approved for a $2000 limit. I'm really excited about that, but I'm still wondering how I can further improve my score. One of the things that is bogging my score down is the limited types of credit. So now I'm wondering if a secured card on top of these 2 unsecured cards would help. I heard that an unsecured card would show up on my report as "installment" credit, vs. revolving. Would it be worth it? If so, which card would I most benefit from?

No, the secured credit card and the other 2 credit cards all show up as revolving credit.

You need an installment loan, which can be secured by deposit.  Or an auto loan, secured by your car.   That would help. .

Message 4 of 18
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I think you are perfectly fine where you are and you have gotten yourself off to a great start. You will have three tradelines reporting now, and in just a few months that will look excellent to a lot of other lenders.

Could you tell us more about your age and where you are in life (full time job, student, stay at home parent, etc.) before I recommend an installment loan?

The reason I ask is that a lot of time young people get caught up on building credit, but as life progresses credit often comes to them. So, college students often get student loans, which count as installment debt, or buy a car during or soon after school. These are typical parts of growing up, and so there's no need to rush out and get installment debt for these people, because it just comes to them.

However, if you are past that age in life, and maybe looking towards a mortgage in the future, my advice would be different. Perhaps a secured or unsecured personal loan would help your mix of credit. Or, if your car is getting older, looking into financing one in the next year or so would help. But whatever you do, do not burden yourself with unnecessary debt for the credit "game". Stick to what you can afford, and worry about the score later. Your credit card tradelines will provide all of the history you really need, anything additional is just icing on the cake.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 5 of 18
zeusta20
Established Contributor

I'd so don't do that. Having a sec card is no different than have an unsecured (as far as the CR goes). If you have unsecured, then there's no reason to go to secured. If you're looking for a mix, get either an unsecured personal loan (if you can). If not, get a SECURED Personal Loan. Or an auto loan too. Having different TYPE of credit are what helps the mixture. But having two different types of credit cards doesn't make a difference.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 6 of 18
danielodonoll
New Contributor

not a good idea

wait till those accounts age like 6 months and then apply for 6 more credit cards and sit on the garden for 6 more months after that

Then request cli on all acounts 4 times the original limit.

youll be fine if you follow this.IMO

Citi Bank X2/ 29k-USAA Amex/Mastercard 24k-PP Mastercard 20k_
WMDiscover 20k-PenFed X2/15k
Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 7 of 18
zeusta20
Established Contributor

I'd SAY don't do that*

oops...typo

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys. Just a little bit about me, I'm 18, I have a part-time jobs (which is pretty much full-time minus the benefits), and I'm currently in college part-time.

I was going to take out a loan for a car but then I thought I should probably just wait. I have $3000 cash for a car which would be a nice downpayment, but I think I might need a cosigner. I didn't need a cosigner for the credit cards.

Does anyone think I should call chase about the sapphire card? Maybe ask them if they'll give me the freedom instead? I heard it's easier to get...

Message 9 of 18
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

I agree with SnackTrader, he gave excellent advice.
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.