Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get another CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I get another CC

I have a car loan, and 3 credit cards.  I was wondering if i'm trying to rebuild my credit should I get anohter credit card or is 3 good?  My limits are $350 (zero bal), $750 (zero bal), and $3000 (1600 bal).  I'm wondering if I should get anohter one to show I have more credit that i'm not using.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
oneloveforall_2000
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I get another CC

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a car loan, and 3 credit cards. I was wondering if i'm trying to rebuild my credit should I get anohter credit card or is 3 good? My limits are $350 (zero bal), $750 (zero bal), and $3000 (1600 bal). I'm wondering if I should get anohter one to show I have more credit that i'm not using.

3 cc is all you need, but your cl are kinda low, try asking them for a cli.
Message 2 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

And don't forget that each card needs to be reporting under 50% at the most. See if you can get your balance on the $3K card under $1500 with a goal of under $300 (10%.)

Don't know if your small cards are store cards or "re-builder" bank cards (Visa, MC, etc.) If they are rebuilders, it's possible that you will just never get much more of a CL than that. If so, you'll need to decide if they're worth keeping. Generally, if they don't have fees, sock-drawer them and use them twice a year to keep them alive. If they do have fees, you might want to get a better card first and then close them.

Closed cards will keep reporting for 10 more years, so this wouldn't hurt your history now. But if one is way older than the other two, you'll feel that when it does stop reporting. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, just see what the impact will be before you do anything.

I'm guessing that you are going to need to add a better CC to your mix. I don't know what your scores are now, but I would pay down your one open card *and let it report to your 3 credit reports* before you app. You'll have better scores, and get better offers.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Forgot to mention-- you're active duty military, right? I think I remember you posting about mortgages a while back. Do you belong to USAA yet? They're a great source of really nice CC's and everything else under the sun. Even if they wouldn't issue you a card now, getting membership going will really help out in the future.

USAA bases a lot of its decisions on a member's length of time with them, much more than what your scores are. They've been really nice to me!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok cool info guys. The only card that has a fee is my first premier. I want to close that one but the problem is thats my longest active card. Not that long though, about 8 months or so. If I don't have a balance on my premier card will they still charge me the monthly maint fee?
Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

yes they still charge, that's why I don't like them...
if you could get another card then close first premier, you will take a hit but probably recover quickly
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok my credit scores are 573, 612 and 663. I will try to get anohter CC and close my premier. What would be the best CC to apply for with my credit scores. I've been out of BK for 10 months.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol you are asking a wrong person Smiley Happy

pavetim wrote:
  I have a car loan, and 3 credit cards.  I was wondering if i'm trying to rebuild my credit should I get anohter credit card or is 3 good?  My limits are $350 (zero bal), $750 (zero bal), and $3000 (1600 bal).  I'm wondering if I should get anohter one to show I have more credit that i'm not using.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.