Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get another card?

tag
Mshellt
New Contributor

Should I get another card?

So, EQ and EX are both in the 700's and TU is over 640 now. I have a Walmart card and a Capital One Journey card...I also have  a Buckles store card which I don't plan to ever..ever use. I only got it because I was able to get it with only a soft pull. Anyway, for the sake of having a strong safety net, would there be any harm in applying for more credit cards? Would that negatively impact my credit scores or would it be helpful? I am also planning to either purchase or lease a car in a month or two and I was wondering if it is better to wait until after an  auto deal is finalised since credit score plays a big role in the application process.

Starting Score: 630
Current Score:Equifax: 776 TransUnion: 746 Experian: 747

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I get another card?

Have you looked at the available pre-qual sites? 

I wouldn't aimlessly apply for cards. That would be a bad idea Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 10
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I would wait until after the auto loan is completed

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mshellt wrote:

So, EQ and EX are both in the 700's and TU is over 640 now. I have a Walmart card and a Capital One Journey card...I also have  a Buckles store card which I don't plan to ever..ever use. I only got it because I was able to get it with only a soft pull. Anyway, for the sake of having a strong safety net, would there be any harm in applying for more credit cards? Would that negatively impact my credit scores or would it be helpful? I am also planning to either purchase or lease a car in a month or two and I was wondering if it is better to wait until after an  auto deal is finalised since credit score plays a big role in the application process.

What's holding back your TU report?

Message 4 of 10
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

I would wait until after the auto loan is completed

+1

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 5 of 10
Mshellt
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mshellt wrote:

What's holding back your TU report?

It's a bank's charge off from about 6 years ago. I would pay it off since my life is more financially stable now, but I have been told that the bad mark will stay even longer if I pay it off now. It should fall off some time in April.

Message 6 of 10
elim
Senior Contributor

@Mshellt wrote:

In MY experience... my scores took a 20ish point hit after applying for 4 cards and were 40ish points higher in 6 months of PIF.

Of course our profiles are different (AAoA, total accounts, total age, baddies, etc.) and YMMV.

IMHO, although you take the hit now... you are building a thick, robust file for the future. If you app after the car loan,  you can Garden all your HP's at the same time (if you don't plan on apping for a mortgage in the near future). Be sure to check out the auto-loan forum to cluster your auto loan HP's into 1 (2 week span)

After your auto loan goes through i would hit the AMEX and Chase pre-qual sites and see what pops up...   Investigate what card(s) work for your spending and goals (and the spends for/and bonus') then ask here again. There might be a different/new bonus or card available at that time and your scores may have changed by then.

just my 2 cents

GL

Message 7 of 10
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Mshellt wrote:

Don't apply for anything until after the car loan. Optimize your FICO score using this technique:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-do-I-play-the-1-9-Utilization-Game-Please-Help/m-p/...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the Chargeoff on TU falls off in April, my opinion is to wait until after it falls off before you app for a car.  If the dealership pulls TU, you're screwed.  

The interest money you will pay between a 640 interest tier and 700 tier is significant amount when you consider the purchase amount and number of years.

If you can wait, get 2 new credit cards now, wait for those to age 6 months and your chargeoff will fall off in April.  Then apply in May with a much better score on all 3 reports

Unless you know of a dealer that only pulls EQ/EX Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
Mshellt
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If the Chargeoff on TU falls off in April, my opinion is to wait until after it falls off before you app for a car.  If the dealership pulls TU, you're screwed.  

The interest money you will pay between a 640 interest tier and 700 tier is significant amount when you consider the purchase amount and number of years.

If you can wait, get 2 new credit cards now, wait for those to age 6 months and your chargeoff will fall off in April.  Then apply in May with a much better score on all 3 reports

Unless you know of a dealer that only pulls EQ/EX Smiley Happy

Good idea. Would it matter much though if I am leasing? My great "plan" was to lease a honda fit with the intention of purchasing it at the end of the lease agreement (mainly because I think I'd go over the allotted mileage.)

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.