Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get another card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I get another card?

I am relatively new to credit, I got 2 cards last year in june to start building credit (secured cc's)  I was thinking of getting a third to satisfy most lenders 3 traditional tradelines aged 12mos + requirements.   I have another secured card I can get that would not require a credit check, but I am not so concerned about the inquiry effecting my credit as the avg account age considerations.  Is this a valid concern, will getting one more card with my only credit history being the 2 cards I have now being so new have a negative impact.  I know length of credit history is like 15% of fico, and new credit is like 10% of fico scoring, and the current cards would be like 13-14 months old when I apply, and if I get the new one it would be like 6 months old when I went to apply.  That would make avg account age 11.333 months instead of 14 months, but then again under payment history the whole broad category is 35% one of the attributing factors is # of accounts showing paid as agreed, so calculating how much of a factor the negative aspects and positive aspects of the new card would be, how much you guys think that would ding my fico score if I get this next one?

The reason why I am hesitant, Is I want to apply for a home this year, and my score is right below 620(It will be 620 soon with no new negative activity but barely, but when I apply If I can't get approved, I would like to have the 3 lines open for trying again next year and If I dont get the new card now I will be stuck waiting for the potential new one to age for like an extra 7 months+ longer than if I just get it now. ( I read in the mortgage section some lenders are going away from allowing non-traditional tradelines to offset thin files so I want to be prepared if thats the case as soon as possible, but I dont want to get stuck right below 620 if opening this 3rd card is going to do it.

thoughts; insights anyone?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I get another card?

@Anonymous wrote:

I am relatively new to credit, I got 2 cards last year in june to start building credit (secured cc's)  I was thinking of getting a third to satisfy most lenders 3 traditional tradelines aged 12mos + requirements.   I have another secured card I can get that would not require a credit check, but I am not so concerned about the inquiry effecting my credit as the avg account age considerations.  Is this a valid concern, will getting one more card with my only credit history being the 2 cards I have now being so new have a negative impact.  I know length of credit history is like 15% of fico, and new credit is like 10% of fico scoring, and the current cards would be like 13-14 months old when I apply, and if I get the new one it would be like 6 months old when I went to apply.  That would make avg account age 11.333 months instead of 14 months, how much you guys think that would ding me if I get this next one.

The reason why I am hesitant, Is I want to apply for a home this year, and my score is right below 620(It will be 620 soon with no new negative activity but barely, but when I apply If I can't get approved, I would like to have the 3 lines open for trying again next year and If I dont get the new card now I will be stuck waiting for the potential new one to age for like an extra 7 months+ longer than if I just get it now. ( I read in the mortgage section some lenders are going away from allowing non-traditional tradelines to offset thin files so I want to be prepared if thats the case as soon as possible, but I dont want to get stuck right below 620 if opening this 3rd card is going to do it.

First, avoid BoA for now when it comes to any of what you mentioned above. 

Second, research the daylights out of anything you're thinking of applying for before doing so.  MyFico should be your library before applying for anything frankly. Use it, you'll be glad you did   Smiley Wink

I have to ask because it's your best bet in a way, have you looked into joining NFCU (Navy Federal Credit Union)?   If not, you might want to, it might open up some options for you.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 2 of 9
boomhower
Valued Contributor

How soon will you be applying?  If it's within the next six months I wouldn't add another card as the new account will drag your score a bit.  If it's outside of six months it wouldn't hurt much but your still not going to hit that 12 month mark.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

it would right around 6 months, I'm leaning towards not applying as alot of the posts im reading it seems like fha lenders are still taking non traditional tradelines to supplement lack of traditional lines, and if they were not to take them it would be the exception not the rule.  I will just apply for a third card after I get a house, or denied for the loan.

Message 4 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

What might help in your situation is a secured loan. They issue a cd, and you pay installments, when all is said and done you get 12 months of installment history and a 1,000 cd. That's the route I took when I was rebuilding. Opened the secured loan in sept 07 and I closed on an FHA loan for a house on April 08. Might be hard to find a bank that still does them, but you'll get a boost from the installment loan since it is counted as a higher quality of credit than a credit card or store card.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@webhopper wrote:
What might help in your situation is a secured loan. They issue a cd, and you pay installments, when all is said and done you get 12 months of installment history and a 1,000 cd. That's the route I took when I was rebuilding. Opened the secured loan in sept 07 and I closed on an FHA loan for a house on April 08. Might be hard to find a bank that still does them, but you'll get a boost from the installment loan since it is counted as a higher quality of credit than a credit card or store card.

DCU still does it, and I think several other credit unions do as well.  I'm not certain on national banks at all though.  I would second Webhoppers suggestion as well.

        
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried to see if you're prequal'd for anything? Check out Capital One's card lab and see what they offer you? https://findmycard.capitalone.com/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_UNS_MS_V02.aspx

Message 7 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Don't apply for any new credit within 6 mos of buying a new home.

A new CC probably won't increase your score and you may see a drop. It's really hard to estimate those things, but it's a good rule of thumb. I think you need to tlak with a mortgage broker and see what you would qulaify for, what score you need, etc. Then make an informed decision.

BTW, years ago, I was approved for a mortgage and believe I only had 2 CCs and one store card.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 8 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am relatively new to credit, I got 2 cards last year in june to start building credit (secured cc's)  I was thinking of getting a third to satisfy most lenders 3 traditional tradelines aged 12mos + requirements.   I have another secured card I can get that would not require a credit check, but I am not so concerned about the inquiry effecting my credit as the avg account age considerations.  Is this a valid concern, will getting one more card with my only credit history being the 2 cards I have now being so new have a negative impact.  I know length of credit history is like 15% of fico, and new credit is like 10% of fico scoring, and the current cards would be like 13-14 months old when I apply, and if I get the new one it would be like 6 months old when I went to apply.  That would make avg account age 11.333 months instead of 14 months, but then again under payment history the whole broad category is 35% one of the attributing factors is # of accounts showing paid as agreed, so calculating how much of a factor the negative aspects and positive aspects of the new card would be, how much you guys think that would ding my fico score if I get this next one?

I would wait until your mortgage is secure before applying for anything.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.