Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get another

tag
dman23
Frequent Contributor

Should I get another

I had gotten 3 credit cards in April as part of my credit rebuild. Along with that I have an installment loan. Those are my 4 active accounts. I'll be applying for a car loan in the next couple of days. Should I and would it be of any benefit to apply for another credit card in the next couple of days too?

myFico Score Experian: Start (4/21/14) 626 Current (5/7/16) 841
myFico Score Equifax: Start (4/30/14) 694 Current (5/6/16) 838
myFico Score Transunion Start (5/01/2014) 727 Current (5/7/16) 842
Discover (4/24/14) 659 (5/5/16) 842
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Should I get another

@dman23 wrote:

I had gotten 3 credit cards in April as part of my credit rebuild. Along with that I have an installment loan. Those are my 4 active accounts. I'll be applying for a car loan in the next couple of days. Should I and would it be of any benefit to apply for another credit card in the next couple of days too?

If you are purely in rebuilding phase then probably not. You can just garden the cards and loans you have now . See what scores are like in 6 month and 12 month intervals. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 14
keithB
Established Contributor

Post what you got so far =)

Message 3 of 14
dman23
Frequent Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@dman23 wrote:

If you are purely in rebuilding phase then probably not. You can just garden the cards and loans you have now . See what scores are like in 6 month and 12 month intervals. 

Thanks for the advice.

Message 4 of 14
dman23
Frequent Contributor

@keithB wrote:

Discover $1100
BarclayRewards card $1300

Chase Freedom $3500

Message 5 of 14
keithB
Established Contributor

@dman23 wrote:

@keithB wrote:

Discover $1100

Chase Freedom $3500

Looks nice, scores are good. How many HPs and with who?  AMEX was Experian only for me but I see it's your lowest right now. 

EQ and TU scores are highest but you should find out how many pulls each has first.  Obviously gardening is best but that is also true for 90% of everyone.  I guess it depends what you really want.  If all your cards are relatively the same age, then down the road, you will have a higher AAoA when you add another.  But on the other hand, getting another card will push you back about another 3 months in the garden.

Only you can answer what is best for you.  A citi might look good in the mix but everyone says they a boring cards and I see you look like a rewards person from the cards you have.

Message 6 of 14
dman23
Frequent Contributor

@keithB wrote:

@dman23 wrote:

@keithB wrote:

Discover $1100

Chase Freedom $3500

Looks nice, scores are good. How many HPs and with who?  AMEX was Experian only for me but I see it's your lowest right now. 

EQ and TU scores are highest but you should find out how many pulls each has first.  Obviously gardening is best but that is also true for 90% of everyone.  I guess it depends what you really want.  If all your cards are relatively the same age, then down the road, you will have a higher AAoA when you add another.  But on the other hand, getting another card will push you back about another 3 months in the garden.

Only you can answer what is best for you.  A citi might look good in the mix but everyone says they a boring cards and I see you look like a rewards person from the cards you have.

Thanks Keith. Just got my Experian report and it's 700 now.

EX has 2 inquiries from Chase, Discover

EQ has 1 from Discover

TU has 1 from Barclays

I realized that getting another card will push me back a few months but that's why I was considering doing it now rather than later. Along with the auto loan that would give me 5 active accounts and I see in "Understanding Your Score" that high achievers have an average of 6 active accounts.

Funny enough I'm not a rewards person at all. I'll look into citi, why not. Boring is fine with me.

That should do it. The next thing will be a mortgage but that will be 1.5-2 years down the road. If it's sooner then that means I have a hefty down payment. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 14
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@dman23 wrote:

@keithB wrote:

@dman23 wrote:

@keithB wrote:

Discover $1100

Chase Freedom $3500

EQ has 1 from Discover

TU has 1 from Barclays

I realized that getting another card will push me back a few months but that's why I was considering doing it now rather than later. Along with the auto loan that would give me 5 active accounts and I see in "Understanding Your Score" that high achievers have an average of 6 active accounts.

Funny enough I'm not a rewards person at all. I'll look into citi, why not. Boring is fine with me.

That should do it. The next thing will be a mortgage but that will be 1.5-2 years down the road. If it's sooner then that means I have a hefty down payment. Smiley Happy

Citi AA two free round trips anywhere in the US in economy is nothing to sneeze at. You probably could get better value spending it on international flights but its not too shabby for very llittle spending. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 14
keithB
Established Contributor

If boring is good with you, go to Citi's prequalify site and give it a run - you get a preappoval, then you can decide to go all the way.  I like my simplicity.  0% for 18 months - what's not to like about that?

https://www.citicards.com/cards/credit/application/flow.action?isInvitation=N

@dman23 wrote:

@keithB wrote:

@dman23 wrote:

@keithB wrote:

Discover $1100

Chase Freedom $3500

EQ has 1 from Discover

TU has 1 from Barclays

Message 9 of 14
keithB
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@dman23 wrote:

@keithB wrote:

@dman23 wrote:

@keithB wrote:

Discover $1100

Chase Freedom $3500

EQ has 1 from Discover

TU has 1 from Barclays

Citi AA two free round trips anywhere in the US in economy is nothing to sneeze at. You probably could get better value spending it on international flights but its not too shabby for very llittle spending. 

No, nothing to sneeze at, for sure.  I just don't do much traveling anymore so I just kinda look over the travel cards.  Haha, I stand corrected =)

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.