Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get new card????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I get new card????

Okay, my credit score is improving. (YEAH!!!) I have no cards in my name just authorized user. Will my credit score improve if I get revolving credit in my own name? I have a car (co-buyer) student loans. (making payments)

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I get new card????

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, my credit score is improving. (YEAH!!!) I have no cards in my name just authorized user. Will my credit score improve if I get revolving credit in my own name? I have a car (co-buyer) student loans. (making payments)

Eventually you do need to have some revolving credit in your name only because being an AU carries the risk of being affected if the primary card holder gets into trouble financially. That trouble would also hurt your score.

If you could give a few details (credit scores, AAoA, credit length history, payment history, etc.) you will probably be given several suggestions as to what cards to look at.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian score 670, Transunion score 630. I have a car loan I have had for 2 years no lates, joined on card 2 years no lates. Student loans out of deferment for 2 months, (income based, wonderful payments, no lates) Also, I have had things deleted off my credit reports (tons of things) My scores have went from a 550  to what is current. It is moving up but I would love to know if a card in my name would increase it more.

Message 3 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Experian score 670, Transunion score 630. I have a car loan I have had for 2 years no lates, joined on card 2 years no lates. Student loans out of deferment for 2 months, (income based, wonderful payments, no lates) Also, I have had things deleted off my credit reports (tons of things) My scores have went from a 550  to what is current. It is moving up but I would love to know if a card in my name would increase it more.

One thing I will ask is where did you get your scores? No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myFICO. I suggest you do an internet search for "myfico discount codes" to save a little money. You can also purchase your Transunion score at www.transunioncs.com. At www.equifax.com you can buy your FICO but they make it very hard to navigate.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 4 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

IMO, it is time to start developing your own credit history.   Especially since you have cleaned your CR's.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I purchased it from the company itself and not through the Fico site.

Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would go with Capital One, a store card like Macys (apply in store only) or Walmart

Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I purchased it from the company itself and not through the Fico site.

Sadly, that's a FAKO, not a FICO. Smiley Sad

If you don't have any negatives on your credit reports, it appears that 3 credit cards are ideal for FICO scoring, and for establishing your record of credit responsibility.

I would definitely move toward getting cards in your own name. AU accounts came close to being ignored for FICO scoring, although that was later rescinded, but many CCC's don't report AU cards, and we've had posts about AU cards not showing up on credit reports, even though the CCC said that they were reporting them. I was an AU on my former husband's card, just to get the length of history, but I have plenty of credit in my own name.

The AU cards will be a nice help in getting your own credit, but again, you should get your own credit. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.