Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get the AMEX SPG?!?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I get the AMEX SPG?!?!

So we are down to near the last day for the 35K bonus.

I am planning a huge trip at the end of this year. I got the CSR a month ago and have almost hit the min spend.

I plan to take a amazing trip to propose Smiley Happy

I got the CSR and plan to keep it. The next card I might not keep but want a good bonus.

Is the SGP worth it? Best bonus for travel at the moment? Or any other recommendations for a travel card to help pay for this trip at the end of the year? Plan to go overseas and want a good signup bonus.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I get the AMEX SPG?!?!

I am wanting to app as well but was wondering when is the cutoff 12:am in the morning on Wednesday or midnight on Thursday morning?

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure. I plan to make a decision and app today if I decide to get it. Rather be safe than sorry. This will take me above 5/24 so that's why I'm on the fence lol what does the bonus of 35k really equal in terms of travel?
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, get the SPG Amex!!! I feel that it is a really undervalued card. However, you must be committed to the SPG program for it to be worthwhile. If you are willing to put all of your non-bonus spend on it, it may be worthwhile. But at a minimum it's a great card for the signup bonus and free first year.

Pros: Ability to earn the most valuable points. I usually have more than enough air miles between MR, UR, and airline point balances; however I struggle with maintaing SPG points. I spend them as soon as I get them, it feels like. I ususally get at least 3 cents per point value out of SPG Points. Recent examples of using SPG Points 5 nights at Sheraton Maui (4.0 cents per point value); and a total of 8 nights at Marriott properties on a road trip to FL (5.8 cents per point avg). Can be a great value at certain Marriott propertes 1:3 transfer ratio. You can also combine the points within your household (if spouse get a card too).

Cons: While SPG points are super valuable, I still use my Chase trifecta as 99% of my spend. I gt more value out of the CSR, FU, and F together than I would using the SPG Amex for non-bonus spend. Aside for the business verison, it is not a long term keep card as the high annual fee really doesn't come with anything valuable (excluding a few nights towards elite status, etc.).

Message 4 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

SPG are generally considered the most valuable reward currency.  In meeting the bonus requirements, you will have at least 40,000 SPG points which are conservatively worth about $1,000, but could be far more valuable depending on how they are used.  I am personally in SPG mode right now.  If in doubt about timing of the promotion ending today, I'd call AmEx to confirm.  Best of luck!

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes get it!
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it lol
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!  What's the limit?

Message 8 of 18
elim
Senior Contributor

uhhhhg, 120k Marriott points would be nice but I need to stay in the garden for sure. Congrats on the approval and enjoy!

Message 9 of 18
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Having a hard time understanding if that means "I understand your guys' logic" or if it means "Was approved" 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.