Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get this AMEX card?

tag
jsmith12345
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I get this AMEX card?

I don't see the point in paying an annual fee on any credit card unless you're rebuilding credit.  Amex has choices with no annual fee.  I have their Clear card with no annual fee and am very satisified with it.
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

It hasn't reported to my CR yet, but I hope that it helps that I will have an "other" account.  What is everyone's experience about what it does to your score?  It is funny how fast my amex cc reported but still no amex charge card reporting.
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The fee is minimal-
Mine $90 on Green and $30 on skymiles

Just the extra waranty on Xmas shoping covers these fees, I also have 31K miles (I think that is enough for something)

The Buyers protection (return policy changes), some pretty cool add'l insurance that costs nothing-

jsmith12345 wrote:
I don't see the point in paying an annual fee on any credit card unless you're rebuilding credit.  Amex has choices with no annual fee.  I have their Clear card with no annual fee and am very satisified with it.

Message 13 of 22
notmyname
Regular Contributor

I suppose a lot of people just don't have a lot of experience with CHARGE CARDS. Since there is little likely hood that they will make interest off the account they charge a membership fee.(of course they make money off retailer fees) They are charging for service and as some on here have inferred , if you learn the game there is a lot of service and perks to be had. People are getting confused with apples and oranges. There is an Amex product for almost everyone.
Unfortunately there are also people here who have a negative agenda and are scare mongers and what they say about companies betrays their bitter on the outside looking in attitude. I suggest all people should do their homework and try what works for themselves personally.

RP

Message Edited by notmyname on 01-05-2008 08:34 PM
Message 14 of 22
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Hi notmyname, I tend to resent what you say that some people here are "what they say about companies betrays their bitter on the outside looking in attitude" Trust me, I have seen what Amex did to me. I have applied online and the system said I am approved for $1000 and I'll receive the card in 10 days. Then when I call they said I would receive a letter. I got the letter asking for my income/address verification from my CPA/banker/Broker/Atty. I have sent the letter. When I talk to the CSR guy at Amex says they need my permission to get the tax returns and other details.

Trust me no one every treated me like this in my life for $1000 C/Card. They have to first decide what their approval process is and stick to it. I have done every thing they asked me and they ask for more. I would have not offeneded if they flat out decline my app. Several other companies declined my app's and it did not bother me. But treating me like this I have never seen. My fico is at 700 now and I am sure soon it will exceed 750 by middle of this year.

You defending the Amex actions and calling us sourgrape and looking from outside does not make sense. Either Amex decide what they want to do and how they approve. They can say like Juni they approve only 2 cards. Why do they let people apply for all card and then start FR? They have to get their act together before they start treating people like dirt.
Message 15 of 22
notmyname
Regular Contributor

Concorduser,
I thoroughly agree with you. I think that they handled your situation very poorly. I remember reading about it. Please don't misunderstand any of my post. When I speak in support of an entity it is in the context of the moment . I would not lay a blanket of support over anything. When something or someone is right give credit and conversely.
My comment was an inference to an earlier post that made a derogatory blanket statement to someone new looking for information , not grudges.
As you know there is a tendency on the internet toward negativism, and I am afraid I am human and therefore not immune. When I respond to a negative post it is often in a negative tone. I suppose I should just move on, most of the time I do . Being Saturday evening I just happen to have the time and inclination to indulge myself with this tonight.
Again, please do not take my comment as relative to your experience which I believe to be very unfortunate and uncalled for.
Good luck on all your conquest for fame and fortune,
RP
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

concord How did you only get approved for 1k, with scores of 700? What did you say on your app? What's in your credit file? I do remember that thread too (when you first app'd). As I stated on another post, I would rather get an FR before I get the card than after. Why did you get the Optima if AmEx treated you so bad?

Now what I don't understand is why people app for AmEx (knowing the FR's are possible) and then get mad when it happens to them.

Message Edited by jaybee on 01-05-2008 08:41 PM
Message 17 of 22
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Hi Jaybee, I paid off my old debt to Amex and they are sending me Optima Oasis card. As per my Delta card, I have followed what Amex asked me and sent that information they asked. If you want I can send you the screen capture showing that my app is approved for $1000. Do you want me to send it?
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I do not think that you were not approved, that is not what I was saying.

I was wondering what triggered the FR and why only a 1k limit with your scores. From what I am noticing they do Fr's on people that has been doing a lot of app'ing, requesting CLI's every time you look up, and other things that scares them. I was just wanting to know had you done any of those things because that seems to be the characteristics that trigger FR's.

As far as the Optima, if they had treated me like that I would not want it at all (especially if there was not any suspicious activity on my part).
Message 19 of 22
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

As soon as I get my Oasis card, I am going to sock drawer it as soon as I get it.  I have no desire to use it or bother with it. Supposedly $5K CL Oasis Optima Card. I am going to stick to my Visa/MC and once my scores reach I would add Discover.

Amex can take the approach like Juni. If some applies for more cards simply say they allow only 2. If some one asks for more CLI they can simply say like Juni, you have sufficient credit with Amex. They have to first decide what their guide lines are. There are several other companies out there issuing cards. I am not sure what is so special about Amex to treat people like this.
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.