cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go ahead and close my Barclays card?

tag
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I go ahead and close my Barclays card?

Why be scared now? I'm not trying to be harsh, but You knew the possible consequences of having such a large number of inquiries and new accounts dealing with Barclays or any other creditor for that matter.

So IMO no you should not close your account. You are in a position that its probably best to just ride it out versus making a knee jerk decision on a whim. Think about it, they don't have to wait 6 months to decide to close you down as they could do that at any time. There's a 50/50 chance that some type of AA could happen. Might as well sit back for the ride

If its any consolation I opened at least 8 new accounts since I opened Barclays back in September. So far nothing AA for me but you never know. I knew what could happen but I have other cards more than 3 times the limit of Barclays so I'm not too concerned about it.

This one is just better to do a wait and see what happens scenario. It's a gamble that you just may win.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 11 of 16
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Barclays and PenFed are the only ones that worry me. PenFed did an Account Review SP on EQ at the beginning of march, but they have remained silent.  Capital One, and Chevron/Dillard's don't worry me, because you never hear of them closing accounts for this reason. BofA, IDK they may do a CLD. Discover, I don't think they will have a problem with my CR.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 12 of 16
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I'd probably be more worried about Penfed since they are pretty conservative. I don't know if they have an AA stigma like Barclays gets but that card has the higher limit and is more of a prize card (imo). I'm worried they may do something about my new accounts but if they want to ruin my relationship with them and the perfect PIF payment history I have and screw themselves out of me having 3 of their cards in the future (Been eyeing the Ring and Priceline in the distant future), then that is their fault. Don't have a heartattack worrying about and don't do something foolish by trying to get the jump on them.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 13 of 16
bs6054
Valued Contributor

b_seeker wrote:

I'm worried they may do something about my new accounts but if they want to ruin my relationship with them and the perfect PIF payment history I have and screw themselves out of me having 3 of their cards in the future (Been eyeing the Ring and Priceline in the distant future), then that is their fault

Sorry, just find that funny.  If Barclays was reading this, I don't think they would be too upset at the thought of losing the business of someone "eyeing.... in the distant future"

And of course those that PIF aren't as profitable as those that don't.

Message 14 of 16
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@b_seeker wrote:

Yeah, I'd probably be more worried about Penfed since they are pretty conservative. I don't know if they have an AA stigma like Barclays gets but that card has the higher limit and is more of a prize card (imo). I'm worried they may do something about my new accounts but if they want to ruin my relationship with them and the perfect PIF payment history I have and screw themselves out of me having 3 of their cards in the future (Been eyeing the Ring and Priceline in the distant future), then that is their fault. Don't have a heartattack worrying about and don't do something foolish by trying to get the jump on them.

I hope PenFed doesn't have that AA stigma, because yes, it is a prize card. I've been looking all over for AA stories about PenFed, but can't find much, it may just be because they don't have nearly the amount of cardholders that Barclays has. The only AA about PenFed I've seen so far, is if you max out most of your cards, including theirs, and don't pay at all for several months.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 15 of 16
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@b_seeker wrote:

I'm worried they may do something about my new accounts but if they want to ruin my relationship with them and the perfect PIF payment history I have and screw themselves out of me having 3 of their cards in the future (Been eyeing the Ring and Priceline in the distant future), then that is their fault

Sorry, just find that funny.  If Barclays was reading this, I don't think they would be too upset at the thought of losing the business of someone "eyeing.... in the distant future"

And of course those that PIF aren't as profitable as those that don't.

Considering they'd deny me currently (already have), I have to wait until my accounts age. Find it funny all you want. I don't really care. The point was that if they don't value me as a card member, then I won't value them as an issuer, now or in the future. Plenty of others who will.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.