cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go for Chase Freedom and Capital One Quicksilver?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I go for Chase Freedom and Capital One Quicksilver?

Hi, 2nd day on this amazing forum. I learned a lot on my first day. I really want to apply for 2 new cash rewards cards (chase freedom and capital one quicksilver) but I want to realistically know my chances. Ya'll are pretty smart on this board and I need your help. Id hate to use a hard pull and get nothing out of it... Here's some background info..

Im 21 years old, EX=746 EQ=764 TU=768, all infro is from myfico and I have had exactly one inquiry on each score in the past year.

I am an AU for 4.5 years on a BOA card with a 4500$ limit and just got my own BOA CC in aug 2013 for a $1500 limit (initially 700$ but got a CLI on nov 22 2013). So my credit limit is $6000.

I make my payments via mobile almost daily to keep my utilization low. Its usually <1%-5%. And I usually put about $500-$800 on my card each month. My AAoA is 2 years with my longest being my AU at 4.5 years. I never missed a payment, I have zero bad things on my credit report, I always pay in full and on time (usually early).

Several nice users recommended that I apply for some more credit cards, which I would like to do. They said do them at the same time so the hardpulls all go away at the same time (in 2 years) and my AAoA grows at the same time. I like this idea.

Do you think I have a high enough chance of getting accepted for both cards if I apply tomorrow? Or should I wait several months? Any other recommendations? 

Thanks Yall!

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I go for Chase Freedom and Capital One Quicksilver?

You will probably be approved for both. When you get them, garden for a while and get your AAoA up a little before applying for amex and discover (if you want, though you could probably get most of them now if you wanted, then garden for a year and let them grow). 

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 2 of 43
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

i would be real surprised if you got denied for either. I wouldn't recommend a Cap1 card though. It serves a purpose..and your scores already exceed that purpose. I would look at higher tier cards that you can easily get approved for.

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 3 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are some higher tier cards I should go for? I dont care for traveling miles, and I don't really care for low interest since I don't buy anything I don't already have the money for. Maybe in the future Ill need a low interest card, but by then my credit score will be so high that it wont be a problem to apply for the best one. The quicksilver has 1.5% cash back on everything so thats better than my 1% on my bank of america cash rewards cards..

If I do get approved for my cards how should I got about asking for a credit limit increase? Is their anyway to do it without a hard pull?

Thanks yall for the replys! 

Message 4 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also the chase freedom comes with a 200$ cashback deal and the capital one quicksilver comes with a 100$ cash back deal if I spend 500 in the first three months (which I already do without changing spending habits)... So its like a free 300$ 

Message 5 of 43
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What are some higher tier cards I should go for? I dont care for traveling miles, and I don't really care for low interest since I don't buy anything I don't already have the money for. Maybe in the future Ill need a low interest card, but by then my credit score will be so high that it wont be a problem to apply for the best one. The quicksilver has 1.5% cash back on everything so thats better than my 1% on my bank of america cash rewards cards..

If I do get approved for my cards how should I got about asking for a credit limit increase? Is their anyway to do it without a hard pull?

If I were you, I would apply for the Freedom, BCE, Discover it, and quicksilver. That would be a solid mix of high tier cards--save for the qs, but 1.5% on everything is nice...I am tossing around the idea of apping for that one in my Feb app spree.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 6 of 43
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

What ever high-tier means (proxy for "prime"?) I think that the QS is at least as high tier as Freedom, and probably more valuable for many.

Message 7 of 43
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

What ever high-tier means (proxy for "prime"?) I think that the QS is at least as high tier as Freedom, and probably more valuable for many.

I hear ya LTL.... I was on the fence about making the comment about the possibility of the QS not necessarily being a high tier/prime card. The only thing that caused me to add that line in was the fact that people get approved for it with high-mid 600's fico scores....I actually believe that I read somewhere that there are two different versions of the QS--but don't quote me on that, because I don't know for sure.

My Wallet:
Message 8 of 43
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If I were you, I would apply for the Freedom, BCE, Discover it, and quicksilver. That would be a solid mix of high tier cards--save for the qs, but 1.5% on everything is nice...I am tossing around the idea of apping for that one in my Feb app spree.

I would get BCP not BCE but this would be my suggested line up too... but for sure the Cap1 and Chase Freedom are great starters for you to do first.

Message 9 of 43
samm90
New Contributor

I too recommend a blue cash and IT. If you do go Amex make sure you use cards match to get the best sign up bonus.
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.