Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go for a rewards card?

tag
MrPickleton
Established Member

Should I go for a rewards card?

Hello there everyone.  I got my first credit card in June with Capital One. Just the basic platinum card nothing fancy, just something to get my credit history started.  I am a college student, and I have a job.  My credit limit on my Capital One card is 750.  I also have student loans in deferrment because I am school which is approximately 15000.  My card has high utilization however, I pay in full each month.  I am working on keeping it down for a few months before I apply for another card,  My utilization should be around 20%.  I am curious should I even try for a rewards card or wait until my card ages a year.  Also I am curious to which rewards card I should use, I'm looking for something with no annual fee and think I found a couple I am interested in but I would like others experience with these cards to place some input.

Equifax Score-  678  01/16/2013  This was before my 1st Credit Card started reporting.

Transunion Score- 697 02/11/2013 This has my 1st card reporting

Amex BCE: 3000, Discover It 2500, Capital One QS1: 1750

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
MrSwiss
Valued Member

Re: Should I go for a rewards card?

Join Navy Fed if you can.. Less than stellar credit (me) because of a BK 2011.. I just got the Sig Cash rewards and a $10k limit..  Just be careful big limits can lead to big trouble.. Old age guidance for someone that did it wrong once. It's start..

Swiss.

Starting Score:EQ-642 --TU-632-- EX-?
Current Score:EQ-660 MyFico-- TU- 647 MyFico-- EX- 674 Quizzle
Goal Score:700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU vsig $14k -- NFCU PLat MC $14k - NAVChek $7.5K -- NFCU PLAT Visa $14k -Cap1 $1.5k--AMZ $700- Lowes $500- WALMART-$400
Message 2 of 14
MrPickleton
Established Member

I am not eligible for NFCU.  I also don't need nor desire at the time being a huge limit, not because I lack the self-control but it's unnecessary for me.  I am going to school to become something in the finance industry so I am trying to keep my credit squeaky clean and just build up history.

Amex BCE: 3000, Discover It 2500, Capital One QS1: 1750

Message 3 of 14
colindidit
Established Contributor

Try chase freedom but be prepared to recon for lack of credit accounts/history. But if you have a successful recon with this card you may get a 500 dollar starting limit but you'll be in with a "prime" lender
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 4 of 14
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

There are a number of student credit cards with rewards (Citi Forward and Discover IT come to mind).

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 5 of 14
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

+1 for Citi I had the AT&T Universal Card back in the day.  It was great.  I closed it out because I didn't want to be tempted by the credit line and as a student I had little income. 

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 6 of 14
colindidit
Established Contributor

That must of taken a lot of restraint to avoid using the credit line ^
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 7 of 14
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

Yes, it did take a whole lot of restraint.  I'm glad I closed it because that would have been one burned bridge if I had kept it o pen.  I'm sorry, but someone making $12-$15,000 should not have $3000 credit available. IMO.  My parents told me if I got any credit cards they would not bail me out.  Believe me, they didn't.  I had to work three jobs while I was in school due to partying my first year.  I had a credit union card that went south but I got on a really good payment plan with them.  I had my checking and savings with them and was had a really good relationship with the lady in the credit department.  After I finished the payment plan, they removed all of my late pays from credit reporting.  I am so grateful for that!  

What got me in trouble was AFTER college when I got the big boy lines and buying stuff for my broke friends. lol

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 8 of 14
colindidit
Established Contributor

Haha I'm 23, in college and making about 17-18k a year with a number if money in a trust fund left by my grandfather. At first I wasn't responsible with credit (fiancée who made me spend alot) until recently when I found the forums. Now I only have one credit in use with about 200 on it. The only big debt I have is school loans. And also I have a daughter and another on the way. I think I'm doing a good job maintaining my debt to income Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 14
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

If you're happy with Cap1, the Journey card doesn't look terrible. 1.25x and a free monthly FICO score. People don't really talk about them that much, but BofA has student versions of the Cash Rewards (1-2-3) and Travel Rewards. I like the Citi Forward obviously, and there's also the student Dividend that has the rotating 5% cash back categories.

I wish I had gotten on the student Discover earlier, but I'm firmly planted in the garden these days. Smiley Tongue
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.