Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go for an AMEX Blue Cash

tag
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I go for an AMEX Blue Cash

I buck the trend and suggest you apply for the Sallie Mae World Mastercard. %5 on Grocery @ $250/Mo, 5% on Gas @ $250/Mo, 5% on Book Stores @ $750/Mo

https://www.salliemae.com/landing/WorldCreditCard/

You say you spend $300 - $350 on gas per month. The Sallie Mae has a small monthly cap of $250 on Gas. But 5% capped beats 3% uncapped in this scenario.

Sallie Mae: ($250 X .05) + ($100 X .01) = $13.50 cash back. No Annual Fee.

AmEx BCP: ($350 X .03) = $10.50 cash back, plus you pay an Annual Fee. You do get a nice signup bonus.

Plus much more cash back if you buy some Groceries or Book Store purchases (IE, Amazon.com)

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 11 of 30
rydog

amazon is considered a bookstore?  Even purchases that are not books such as household items?

Message 12 of 30
valtamirano
Established Member

So this morning, I went ahead and applied for the BCP card and was asked to call their number for a decision.

I called the number, confirmed my information and was then told that my application will need further review and I will receive a decision in 24 hours.

I'm thinking maybe one of the reports they pulled was not good enough so they are looking at another report.
As of August 2017:
TU - 796 -- EQ - 761 -- EXP - unkn -- FICO - 787

Credit Limits:
Chase Sapphire Reserve - $34.4K -- Discover Platinum - $3.5K -- BoA Cash Rewards - $1K -- Amex Delta Gold - $9.7K -- Amex BCE - $6.6K -- WF JA - $6.2K -- Fidelity Inv. Rewards - $7K -- Mesa Money - $9.4K -- Lord&Taylor - $1.5K -- Best Buy - $3.5K -- Citi DoubleCash - $5.2K -- Citi Forward - $3.5K -- Sunglass Hut - $2K
Message 13 of 30
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@valtamirano wrote:
So this morning, I went ahead and applied for the BCP card and was asked to call their number for a decision.

I called the number, confirmed my information and was then told that my application will need further review and I will receive a decision in 24 hours.

I'm thinking maybe one of the reports they pulled was not good enough so they are looking at another report.

did you get 7-10 message or was it something else. I got 7-10 and called in and was approved i was actually pretty suprised. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 14 of 30
Iorek
Contributor

Which BofA card do you have? The BofA BankAmericard Cash Rewards is 3% gas, 2% groceries, 1% everything else with a 10% bonus if redeemed into a BofA checking/savings, with no AF.

Note: It looks like you went for the BCP. That works too.

Amex BCE ($15k), TE ($5k), BoA BBR ($600), Cash Rewards ($600), Barclays Sallie Mae ($6k), CapOne Quicksilver ($4k), Chase Freedom ($5.8k), CSP ($11k), Marriott (9k), IHG (12k), DCU ($6k), Discover IT ($6.5k)
TU - 4 INQ, EX - 7 INQ, EQ - 3 INQ
Gardening since 06/25/14.
Message 15 of 30
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I think you have a good shot at getting approved. All of my apps with Amex have taken a couple of days to be approved - even if I talked to them on the phone.
Message 16 of 30
codimom
Frequent Contributor

I see you've already applied for the BCP... and i think that is a good call.  I app'd for the BCE because, like you, I do not like having AF on any of my card.  Now that I've had it for a year, i'm thinking I'll PC it to a BCP. It is my main go to card and I could use the bumped up rewards.

If you check your online app status, what does it tell you??

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 17 of 30
valtamirano
Established Member

Once the application was submitted, I was thanked for applying. The message also said, "In order to provide you with an instant decision, we need to speak with you. Call during normal hours or we will contact you within 2-3 days if we do not hear from you."

I was not aware that I could check the status of my application online, I will look into that.
As of August 2017:
TU - 796 -- EQ - 761 -- EXP - unkn -- FICO - 787

Credit Limits:
Chase Sapphire Reserve - $34.4K -- Discover Platinum - $3.5K -- BoA Cash Rewards - $1K -- Amex Delta Gold - $9.7K -- Amex BCE - $6.6K -- WF JA - $6.2K -- Fidelity Inv. Rewards - $7K -- Mesa Money - $9.4K -- Lord&Taylor - $1.5K -- Best Buy - $3.5K -- Citi DoubleCash - $5.2K -- Citi Forward - $3.5K -- Sunglass Hut - $2K
Message 18 of 30
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@rydog wrote:

amazon is considered a bookstore?  Even purchases that are not books such as household items?

Items are not individually reported to the credit card companies. What is reported is the buisness type that charged you for a transaction..

Now, Amazon is huge and spread around the country, so they do have multiple business types. If you buy Music or MP3 downloads, etc, that gets marked as a music store purchase, whereas most stuff you buy from Amazon gets marked as comming from a bookstore. If you order stuff and it is shipped from a 3rd party, I'm guessing thats probably not a bookstore. I haven't verified that last bit myself yet.

Since I use Amazon Prime, I specifically try to buy stuff shipped from Amazon.

Same deal goes for cards with Gas station discounts. I get my 5% cash back on the half price donuts after 4pm... MMM... half price filled bismarks... still tasty.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 19 of 30
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@valtamirano wrote:
Once the application was submitted, I was thanked for applying. The message also said, "In order to provide you with an instant decision, we need to speak with you. Call during normal hours or we will contact you within 2-3 days if we do not hear from you."

I was not aware that I could check the status of my application online, I will look into that.

I would be very surprised if you weren't approved.  Keep us posted.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.